Why is my airbag light on?

Asked by Sep 02, 2012 at 02:06 PM about the Hyundai Elantra

went over railroad tracks a bit too fast and the light has been on since then, but the bags have not deployed.

62,985

Sounds like a bad connection. Either at the sensors (front of car on or near the radiator support) or at the clock spring (in the steering column). With this light on steady your airbag(s) will NOT deploy. Even if you're in a collision. The light is warning you that the system has been disabled because the computer found a problem. HTH. -Jim

110

I've had the same problem on my 2013 Elantra. I got a run-around answer about my bag being in the passenger seat & it being too heavy. Neither of which are true. I will definitely keep on them about this. Thank you for your answer, Js08016! Do you know if it is a common problem?

62,985

I don't know if it is common for your Elantra. On GMs the usual culprit is the clockspring in the steering column. HTH. -Jim

130

Looks like it's a common issue, i have the same problem on my Hyundai Elantra

110

I called and took it in because that whole not deploying part was a little unsettling. It turns out the scale was not calibrated correctly. At least that's what they said. Either way the issue was resolved.

120

We have the same problem with our Elantra...we had some electrical problems and after having to disconnect the battery the airbag light comes on all the time.

Just brought our 2011 Elantra in for airbag light on & they said it's the clockspring & want $250 to fix! Ugh

50

We have a 2010 Elantra Touring. The air bag light is in constantly. Took it in to the dealer and my regular guy, both said it was a "switch" in the passengers seat that required the entire seat bracket to be replaced. Both quoted $2,500 +/-. Any advice for a less costly solution would be appreciated... PS- both said the light would not prevent deployment, so JS08016's comment is a bit disconcerting.

60

Another air bag light intermitent. Called deaaler and they said could be weight switch, seat belt issues, computer issue, and $120 just to run a diagnostic. Hyndai has such a good reputation, something that has to do with Safety like this should be covered for at least 5 years, hard to believe after 4 years so many people are having this issue

20

My mother and I both have 2010 elantras and the airbag light has appeared on both of our cars. She had to pay $250 just to fix the issue. I have yet to get it done. I was thinking about trading it in for a newer model but there always seems to be issues with this car.

20

2003 airbag light on .....it will be a bad connection if you have airbag under the seats check the connection first .......thank you..........................................by mr kevin b-k-a-dj red

20

2003 Elantra airbag light on .....it will be a bad connection if you have airbag under the seats check the connection first .......thank you..........................................by mr kevin b-k-a-dj red

40

People really need to call NHTSA about this: This is a safety system defect and should be fixed for FREE under a recall for all of these vehicles.

10

I have 2012 Elantra and my airbag light stays on...they said it's the clock spring..cost $395.really???? This shouldn't be.

10

so any responses that help? Lots of complaints, I also have an out of warranty 2012 elantra and would like my airbags to work if I'm in an accident, paying 99 to "evaluate" the light and no clue of what it will cost AND having to leave my car at least a day with them and get a rental does not seem like an option and YES seems as though this should be a recall issue!!!

40

My 2012 Elantra also has the air bag light on and is out of warranty period. Took to the dealership and had to get a diagnostic done (cost $99.00) was told it was the clock spring needed to be replaced (cost $385.00). I declined to have the work done as the dealership cost is always outrageous. Everyone really needs to report this to NHTSA as this should be covered at no cost to be fixed. https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/VehicleComplaint/

20

same here with my 2011 Elantra, out of warranty after 5 yrs and 3 days, Airbag light on, steering wheel controls like car volume, mute, scan, fwd/back, cruise control, etc.. not working anymore. At first it was intermittent for 1 month, works here and there 1 out 5 tries, but now 100% dead. I was shopping for a new car for my daughter over the long Labor Day weekend, I was about to get another Hyundai Elantra (2016), sales rep offering me 1k off from msrp as a return customer. 19k otd and all. I decided to walk away. Too risky for loved ones to drive a Hyundai.

20

2005 Elantra had airbag light on after an frontal collision but before it was on and off. Will get a scanner to read the code.

20

If you get codes B1448, 1449, 1450, then call your dealer and they will reprogram it for free.

62,985

For the record, with the airbag light on the airbags will not deploy! Even in a collision! The system is designed that way to prevent accidental deployment due to a malfunctioning system. The light being on means that the computer has detected a fault within the system and the system has been disabled until the needed repairs have been made. -Jim

10

I have 2013 Elantra and all of a sudden Airbag lights popped up. I notice if I lock the seat belt on rear seat it goes off and lights up again.

20

i have a 2006 and my driver side airbag light is on hope it is a simple fix