Why is my airbag light on?

hoppy0420
0

Asked by Sep 02, 2012 at 02:06 PM about the Hyundai Elantra

went over railroad tracks a bit too fast and the light has been on since then, but the bags have not deployed.

50,825

Sounds like a bad connection. Either at the sensors (front of car on or near the radiator support) or at the clock spring (in the steering column). With this light on steady your airbag(s) will NOT deploy. Even if you're in a collision. The light is warning you that the system has been disabled because the computer found a problem. HTH. -Jim

JML926
70

I've had the same problem on my 2013 Elantra. I got a run-around answer about my bag being in the passenger seat & it being too heavy. Neither of which are true. I will definitely keep on them about this. Thank you for your answer, Js08016! Do you know if it is a common problem?

50,825

I don't know if it is common for your Elantra. On GMs the usual culprit is the clockspring in the steering column. HTH. -Jim

kmmcab
110

Looks like it's a common issue, i have the same problem on my Hyundai Elantra

JML926
70

I called and took it in because that whole not deploying part was a little unsettling. It turns out the scale was not calibrated correctly. At least that's what they said. Either way the issue was resolved.

Ruth Santella-Nieves
90

We have the same problem with our Elantra...we had some electrical problems and after having to disconnect the battery the airbag light comes on all the time.

manley93
0

Just brought our 2011 Elantra in for airbag light on & they said it's the clockspring & want $250 to fix! Ugh

kpnelson42
40

We have a 2010 Elantra Touring. The air bag light is in constantly. Took it in to the dealer and my regular guy, both said it was a "switch" in the passengers seat that required the entire seat bracket to be replaced. Both quoted $2,500 +/-. Any advice for a less costly solution would be appreciated... PS- both said the light would not prevent deployment, so JS08016's comment is a bit disconcerting.

Papa Deco
40

Another air bag light intermitent. Called deaaler and they said could be weight switch, seat belt issues, computer issue, and $120 just to run a diagnostic. Hyndai has such a good reputation, something that has to do with Safety like this should be covered for at least 5 years, hard to believe after 4 years so many people are having this issue

Catharine Lian
20

My mother and I both have 2010 elantras and the airbag light has appeared on both of our cars. She had to pay $250 just to fix the issue. I have yet to get it done. I was thinking about trading it in for a newer model but there always seems to be issues with this car.

Kevin Rhea
20

2003 airbag light on .....it will be a bad connection if you have airbag under the seats check the connection first .......thank you..........................................by mr kevin b-k-a-dj red

Kevin Rhea
20

2003 Elantra airbag light on .....it will be a bad connection if you have airbag under the seats check the connection first .......thank you..........................................by mr kevin b-k-a-dj red

Paul Nienaber
20

People really need to call NHTSA about this: This is a safety system defect and should be fixed for FREE under a recall for all of these vehicles.

Paulette Cowan
0

I have 2012 Elantra and my airbag light stays on...they said it's the clock spring..cost $395.really???? This shouldn't be.