What is happening to have the "Check AWD system" message on along with the light showing car & slippery road & check engin light on. car seems to be running just fine

Asked by ParamLeo Dec 23, 2014 at 09:54 PM about the Lexus RX 350

I have a Lexus RX-350 - 2011 & had left the car on the driveway for 6 days. When I came back from vacation, the car starts OK BUT gives me exactly what is shown above (another owner's question!):
"What is happening to have the "Check AWD system" message on along with the light showing car & slippery road & check engine light on. car seems to be running just fine"
I tightened the fuel cap really good BUT the messages don't go away ??Could it be the Battery problem ? Any comments, will be appreciated !!

273,075

The computer detected a fault in the AWD system, it could be a bad wheel speed slip sensor or something a internal clutch failure in the transfer case. You need to have the codes checked before you can go much further.

170

Mine did the same thing. I brought it to the shop and they found out that one of the wire was bitten in half by either squirels or some animal. Replaced the wire then my car stop shaking and the message was cleared. Everything is good now thanks god!

350

My 2010 Lexus Rx350: Signs appear - Check engine, Check AWD System and Slippery Road. I was on the way to the Lexus Dealer for a $160 diagnostic check. But before going there I tried the following procedure and ALL SIGNS DISAPPEARED. —- fill up the gas tank, drove for a minute and push hard brake, stop and turned off the engine. Surprisingly, when I restarted the engine, it reset everything and ALL SIGNS DISAPPEARED!!!

40

my light seems temperamental it comes on and then comes back on and then goes off again. I tried cleaning around the gas opening, I checked the cap itself. still the same problem.

80

Thanks Belayet. The HARD BREAK & SHUTOFF did the trick.

90

After we got a lot of rain in SC my car did it. I took it to a shop small shop, they reset it codes went off for a day . I did the method I saw on YouTube. Shut the car off, turn car on without hitting the break, hit the odo button under the steering wheel, hit until you see all zeros then crank the car with breaks and it resets. It did work but I don't know how long that will keep the light off. If not I am going to the Toyota dealership Monday.

10

2012 rx 350, gas cap was loose, tightened up and problem immediately resolved. Easy fix and no cost. thanks for the tip.

50

same thing happend to me i went to lexus dealer they said it has a engine problem with cylinder misfiring and something wrong with the engine valve. They kept my car for 2 weeks and fixed it for the total cost of $6500. Does it make sense of paying that kind of money, am i being ripped off here. it happend 6 months ago. i am regreting now paying that kind of money and my engine makes heavy unusual sound after that fixed.

273,075

For that kind of money it should be purring like a kitten. I’d take it back.

70

Our 2011 RX350 suddenly displayed the Check AWD and the other warnings. It happened after stopping in a rain storm. The car drove perfectly so we continued on our way. The next morning after simply filling the tank with gas the warnings all disappeared and car is back to normal. I had tried the other recommendations in this thread with no change. This was the one that worked. Our car level was below 1/4 tank when this happened.

Thank you so much Brian, I did the same, my car was showing light engine and check AwD. It went off after I do what you said .

10

My 2011 350 is still under warranty and that exact warning lights showed up on my car. I checked the gas cap, it seemed OK. I took it to the dealer and three hours later I had my car back and the codes clear. The resolution was to replace the gas cap as the seal was no longer tight on it. Will see if this permanently fix the problem, I’ve only had the car back a day.

40

I have a 2018 RAV4 LE with near 40000 on it. Car was just serviced, but a few hours later, driving again, the "AWD System Malfunction...." message came on. Also, I have no cruise control. I don't know if it's because something got triggered when the winter tires were put on, or an animal chewed the wiring, or a fuse. I tightened the fuel cap, checked underneath, nothing I could see abnormal. Might be a module, or a fuse? Not sure.

10

Same issues for me “check AWD” and car would not start. Changed the Battery on my 2014 Lexus 350RX, and check AWD went away and car started perfectly!

Hi, My 2010 RX350 suddenly displayed the Check AWD and the other warning and won't start. I just fixed it by replacing the 10 years old battery.