How can I tell when turbo not working on my 2500 doge truck

Asked by Aug 25, 2015 at 12:31 PM about the Dodge Ram

What are signs of failing turbo    My truck just started blowing heavy black smoke when I
accelerate. Had my injectors done 2 months ago. Help

This is a gas engine, right? It's running way rich, and the turbo may or may not have anything to do with it. The turbo doesn't really function without some good engine speed, it is powered from exhaust stream. You probably know this already. Just for the benefit for those that don't. Let's begin with is your CEL on?

From http://www.aet-turbos.co.uk/blog/story/common-turbo-faults-and-how-to-spot-them ... If the turbo housing has cracked, or the internal seals have blown, oil will start to leak into your exhaust system. As this burns off, it produces a distinctive blue/grey smoke, which will probably become more apparent as the engine revs increase just following an idle situation. OK, black smoke is unburnt fuel. White/blue tint is oil. Clean white is coolant

Do you have a gauge? For the boost..or how much positive-pressure induction you are getting?

Response from grandmas73 says. This is diesel 5.9 and has 258,000 km on it but has I always cared for and has always been powerful. Noticed less power with black smoke yesterday. Thanks for your response. I just checked and turbo is turning. Any other suggestions.