My gauage light comes on

60

Asked by Jul 17, 2013 at 01:03 PM about the Dodge Ram

My 2006 Ram 1500 Hemi 5.7 oil gauge light just came on and my oil gauge dropped to
low when I pulled into my driveway today. I checked my oil and nothing was low. What do
I do?

check the age of your battery...with a wirebrush undo the connection at the frame/chassis...the 1/0 black battery cable what goes to the chassis ground frequently gets "browned" with the daily "welding" of 300 amps going through this connection...your ECU also uses this ground connection...the ECU brain does not like varying voltages and varying amperages which is what you'll get from this "brown" connection...although you may have 12 volts, the connection to ground is unreliable...your ECU uses this ground...wirebrush it~!

Try a new sending unit for oil pressure, either the gauge is wrong or you really are loosing oil pressure, meaning oil pump or clogged passages... but before tearing in to it to replace oil pump be sure it's not a false read. If you begin to hear noises from lack of lubrication, don't drive until repaired

Writing at same time..

wouldn't the thing be knockin' to beat the band if he truly had reduced oil pressure, H25?

that's why I am considering an ECU malfunction (they are not unheard of)~

Yep it would..only thing is he said it happened right as he was pulling in to home. Next start up will tell.

60

Thanks for the info. I will keep a eye and ears on it. The gauge went back to the middle when I drove it again. ... But the RPM gauge is not moving... Is this just some sensors going bad or what?

I'd look at the system ground, where the 1/0 cable gets connected to the chassis and to the engine needs to be able to pull 300 cold cranking amps without complaining...of course it actually "welds the lug" into position, but is also the ground for the ECU and dashboard...this connection is always under attack from high-load starts and needs to be re-established if electrical functionality will ever exist (your rpm gauge, for example)....NEED good ground...take a hose to the battery to wash it off from corrosion too~

Best Answer
9,595

Given the issue seems to be isolated to the dash.. I would inspect the ground wire for your gauge cluster. Are you experiencing any other weird issues (ie door not chiming)?

60

Thanks to everyone for your help. Since I am not a mechanical guy where can I go to get this issue checked out (not the Dodge dealer or places like that). Any suggestions?

arm yourself with a coarse wirebrush and look for the ground wires...wirebrush the connection of each black wire as it is attaching to ground or a ground bus~

ok thank u

20

try topping off your transmission fluid that's how I got my gauge to quit dropping on my 2004 Dodge Ram