How can I locate step-by-step instructions to replace my 1995Dodge Ram 1500 4WD rear brakes? Hopefully the cost is close tob Free-of-Charge with the gas money for the work truck spent on parts. Any suggestions or leads? Thanks!

Asked by Feb 17, 2013 at 11:57 PM about the Dodge Ram

I am very concerned about the brake
drum. I noticed that the removal of the
drum is not very easy. I could use
some tips.

102,865

Complete one side before moving on to the other side. You can use it as a guide when re-installing springs. Make sure the star wheel is free and lubricated.

It is Totally normal for the brake drum to be hammered, little spray lube and will pull off hangs on the axle, where else? they rust up. No problem, the drums scrape 'em clean. There is NOTHING to be concerned about here---all is right with the world.

40

Just take a hammer hit the top and side bop it looses. If the are not all in the bottom of the drum remember how u put them in u will need a flat head screw driver and a pair of vice grips to rebuild them.

Remove the brake drum by sliding it off the wheel studs. If the drum does not move, slide the brake adjustment tool or screwdriver through the rubber-plugged hole and feel for a ridged nut. Rotate the nut by pushing on the ridges with the tool. Remove the hub and bearing assembly. Pull the center cap off by using a screwdriver. Remove the nut by using a socket wrench and slide it out of the assembly. Twist the retaining pins that are located on the hold-down springs 90 degrees. There is a hold-down spring located on each side of the assembly. Remove the hold-down springs. Pull one brake shoe away from the cylinder, located at the top of the assembly, to release tension on the spring. Remove the self-adjuster spring by using needle-nose pliers. The self-adjuster spring runs vertically to the lever that goes from the brake shoe to the star spring. Then remove the self-adjuster lever. Release the pressure from the top of the shoes so that the self-adjuster can be removed by unhooking the upper spring using needle-nose pliers. Remove the lower spring. Unhook the lever that is attached to the brake shoe and the parking brake cable by removing the small E-clip that secures it by using a flat-head screwdriver. Relieve the tension from the cable sleeve by detaching the parking brake cable with the needle-nose pliers. Remove both shoes from the assembly. Attach the parking brake cable to the new brake shoe using the E-clip. Install the shoe into the assembly. Install the new hold-down spring and secure it by turning the pin 90 degrees. Connect the lower spring to both brake shoes. Move the second shoe into place and attach the upper spring. Replace the self-adjuster and use it to put the shoe in the correct position. Examine the brake shoes to make sure they press against the cylinder at the top of the assembly. Install the second hold-down spring and secure it by twisting the pin 90 degrees. Reinstall the self-adjuster lever and spring. Slide the hub and bearing assembly into place. Coat the spindle with a wheel bearing lubricant. Replace the nut and tighten it with a wrench. Snap the nut cover into place. Slide the drum and wheel onto the hub.

Hey Mr. D, you're sounding like one of my explanations, fantastically great answer Mr. D, it's not just as easy as grab a 5lb shop hammer and have at it.. I think you missed something, oop no you didn't, I reread, and you did get the P cable, great job, best answer best bro and most complete I have seen lately, wow, I tried to find something out of order and there is none, so WTF dude? LOL fantastic love it and great help to the question ask-er who should mark that as BEST ANSWER which helps the writer get additional POINTS!!!

Well he DID ask for step by step, eh? Good morning and thanks for the compliment

You betcha, damn good

so anxious in my zeal to race thru an answer ALL the new questions, kinda brushed off this 'step by step'...you guys are on top of the game. shame and humility for not paying close attention :(

think the hammer gig was another question about the fragility of brakes...mixer-ahoy

Stretch out making a peanut butter sandwich. break it down into step by step, shoot could write a congressional document and take up three days of the house's discussion on this topic. step one: 1) obtain two pieces of your favorite bread 2) procure a butter knife using the thumb and forefinger. 3.) but first grasp the lid on the peanut butter....you get the rediculousity of the post anyways thank you for wasting ten seconds of your life for me...

Hey Jay, dang bro, don't take this that hard!! I have sat here checking on what's coming in and you are beating the crap out of yourself for not slowing down and reading and understanding the whole question in it's entirety. That's actually quit common here Jay, really!!! Dave read the whole question and got the price for what ever that was as the person who asked the question, should have at least came back and marked his answer as best answer, but didn't at least not yet. So, quit killing yourself, I know damn well you know how to do those brakes, I just am not sure if you can, as you admitted, slow down and read the whole question before racing off to the next question or take the time like Dave did to write that out step by step, or hell even a cut and paste job works as it's become very apparently most of the people asking question here have never heard of Google. So, bro your beating on yourself isn't necessary and no one is even responding and I couldn't stand it anymore, so I thought I'd say something, hell man, you know me by now..LOL, Remember dissertations??? You summed it up in your 3rd post up.....

Mr. regal, not to make excuses, but I was workin on a sticking brake drum problem and mistakenly posted here. thousand apologies. Man, I was a terrible student wanted to go from 0-10 in one step, phoey on all that jizz-jazz in the middle, like "speed reading" class, if you've ever had it. Speaking of which I did exceptionally well on the Armed Services Vocational Aptitude Battery no 2 or somethin' obnoxiously high, have always been great at makin it happen one way or atother- so you know Gary, you are one of the reasons I stay in this game, because you and H25 are goddamned interesting. 7jimmy7 is really not-wordy but is good when he can convey- I'll drop out and never come back if you'd like...you can have my dishonest points...all of them...I'll quit now, just say so, kinda tappin into my painting carreer anyways~