1953 chevy Bel air won't start we have spark and fuel to the carb. I dont think it's making out of the carb.

Asked by Jul 04, 2014 at 01:46 PM about the Chevrolet Bel Air

105,985

Have you tried spraying some fuel into the throat of the carb? How old is the gas in the tank?

61,155

Could be a stuck float in the carburetor. Try this, using the handle end of a large screwdriver, whack the top of the carburetor directly above where the fuel line screws into the carburetor. If it then starts, float is sticking. HTH. -Jim

12,145

Remove the air breather and have someone pump the gas peddle. See if fuel is being sent into the intake manifold through the jets wia the throat of the carburetor. If you see fuel being sent in, is teh timing correct to the car? Does # 1 plug fire when the piston is top dead center and the intake valve has just opened? Gas to the carb, fuel into the intake and spark in the plug. The timing must be correct and you should get ignition if the valves open correctly. Try a shot of starter fluid to see if that helps. I also think on these old carburetors you can take the top off the float reserve and see if the float bowl is filled or the float is on the bottom. Sticky or floats with a hole in them was a common problem in the day. Just like Js0816 said, a whack usually got them going.

i have had trouble with the plugs.they seem to glaze or loose continuity some how. remove plugs and clean on wire brush. or replace them. this has happened to me with almost new plugs.

12,145

If you have the old style valves in your clasic 53 Chevy, and are running the "new gas" you may have burnt or wrapped valves or even corroded and pitted ones. Do a pressure check if you can. You may have to pull the head and put in new modern valve seats and valves that work with the "new fuel" . That is a guess on the plugs getting fowled. Of course pulling the head means a new set of gaskets, which will not hurt anything either. You also may need a hotter plug for the fuel. There is no lead in the gas anymore which coated and protected the valves and valve guides and seats.