1956 Belair clock solenoid issue

85

Asked by Mar 02, 2013 at 09:51 PM about the Chevrolet Bel Air

Please see the photo to better understand the question. Basically, my clock is good to run once until the spring winds down, because the point stays open. Assuming the points are closed (yellow arrow, blue arrow, and red arrow pieces are touching) and I apply the electricity, the pivot arm (yellow arrow) pushes the point (blue arrow) open where it will stay there forever unless I close it. Despite the extension spring, the point (blue arrow) has only two modes: resting against the pivot arm (yellow arrow) or wide open as shown in the picture. I think I could be missing a piece where the green arrows are located. If you think you can help me save this original clock, I would appreciate any input

18,515

looks good to me! dont get happy though I know little about the old chevy but all clocks worked or many on this system, at least your solinoid works good,the points may have to be clean enough to energize the solinoid for another slam windup! how primitive ,guarnteed wont keep time anyway without always adjusting ,got any whale oil?looks a little rusty maby just some circut checks?

56,725

Try filing the points with an ignition file & give it a spritz of WD-40. That's exactly how I fixed my clock in my '70 Pontiac Catalina. That was in 1998 & the clock was still running last year when I sold the car. HTH. -Jim

89,875

I'm no expert but I remember the mode of operation of the electrical- mechanical automotive clock. When the spring winds down, the points are supposed to snap shut, energize a coil and wind the spring. The points do not slowly meet because that would draw an arc that would erode the contacts. Try lubricating the pivots with a spot oiler.

Best Answer