car turns over but wont start

50

Asked by Mar 09, 2016 at 11:53 AM about the Cadillac DTS

the car turns over but wont start. service security
system is showing on dash. tried disconnecting
battery cable to reset security but it did not work. I
checked all fuses, they seem fine not sure if the
relays are ok not sure how to tell if they are bad.
replaced spark plugs and checked for spark on coil
pack cassette there is no spark but checked
connectors and there is voltage. btw i can hear thw
fuel pump turn on and also the security light is
flashing what could it be. the car is a 2000 cadillac
dts 4.6

3,565

Hey there! I am sorry to hear about your trouble with your Cadillac DTS. If the security light is blinking I can only think of one thing, its the starter, or the solenoid in the starter assembly. This car is equipped with an anti-theft device which immobilizes the starter if it detects a filed key, someone attempting to pop the ignition, or hot-wiring the vehicle. If the starter is damaged or loses connectivity with the ECM (the cars computer/brain) this will cause the Security light to illuminate, or blink. Typically a GM dealer has to recode the starter and the key (if the key is equipped with the ID chip). I would give the starter a light whack with a rubber mallet or a small wrench then try to start the car, if it starts, it is the starter. If it doesn't start, it is an electrical issue, battery, ignition, fuel pump. I would need more information to diagnose other problems. Best of luck!

50

what could cause no spark on the coil pack both have no spark but there is voltage to the wire that connects to the coils pack. I know it's not the battery or the fuel pump. it could be ignition but I think the problem would be no spark on the coil packs. I can't see both of them bad.

3,565

What about the ignition switch. Any burn/scorched marks on the switch connectors, terminals?

50

not that are visible I will have to expose it and look

3,565

Check that, and see what you find. Did the car have any issues prior to it not starting? Hesitation? Power Loss? Trouble cold starting?

50

just bought it we were told it over heated and died. so we are expecting a blow head gasket. pressure tested it cold and found no leaks. but really won't know till it starts

3,565

Ouch. I am sorry for the luck man. The heads are known to blow on these cars. Is it throwing any codes?

50

haven't thrown it on a reader yet. don't want to pay to tow and have it read. so trying to figure it out. I am fine with the head gasket I am going to try and fix it and if not throw a new engine in it. btw I am a girl lol

3,565

Hey again! My mistake, so sorry about calling you a dude. So I got a decent code reader off Amazon for $15. Check em out! They are super handy for DIY (and repairing and flipping cars, which I do for a profit!) Best of luck!

I got 2002 dts won't start after I replace head gasket but it will turn over

50

For mine it ended up being the crank shaft sensors

20

Got one for you guys and gals. 98 deville, northstar. Just died one day. Cranked, but no start...just hit and miss, backfires, ect. Turns out, ICM was cracked and malfunctioned. Replaced the ICM, and coils. Loaded the fuel system, started, ran for a second, and died. Back to will crank, but no start, and backfires. Noticed the trap door on the passenger side intake behind the ps pump was open, working on revealing that. Anyone have any thoughts? Thank you!