How does a buyer protect them selves from the dishonest sellers on cargrus?

Asked by Mar 03, 2016 at 11:54 PM about the Audi Quattro

I purchased a 2002 Audi Quattro TT from Chicago auto sales in Miami from a listing on Cargurus and after lengthy talks with the salesman over and over trying to get a feel that he was telling me the truth about the car, which to my disappointment he was not, I purchased the car and paid to deliver to Sioux City, Iowa. Since August of 2015 I've spent more money than I would admit to fix all the LYEs I was told. CHICAGO MOTORES IN MIAMI SHOULD NOT BE TRUSTED! HOW do you screen these succumb bags?

Dealer reviews, having the vehicle checked over before purchase, running a car fax, are a few ways you can protect yourself. As always it is still buyer beware when it comes to used cars.

The so call dealer who has no history of the car they purchased and have for sale is suspicious. The dealer that tells you they have inspected the car and all is working fine is SUSPICIOUS. From the miles on the car certain items should have been replaced during scheduled maintenance. You need to know this information... no matter the seller. Be careful of low mile cars that are 8 to 10 years old. You are paying a premium price. And, not getting the service repairs completed that you would find on a higher mileage car. I like higher mile cars that have a complete maintenance records. It's not just miles that wear on a car. Sitting does damage as well. Bearing & seals dry. A high mileage car bearing have been soaking in oil. Just check the records to make sure it was clean oil. A pre purchase inspection is ok. However, nothing hides from the Dyno. A Dyno will give you operating data on the motor. Can't be hidden in a so-called 100 point inspection, that many dealers use to sell a car. Take your time.. good luck!

Again, make the dealer show you the history of the car. Don't buy into, "we have done a full inspection of the car, and, everything seems to be working fine." Make them show you the documentation of service. Brakes, rotors, plugs, alternator, water pump and other such maintenance issues associated with the miles on the car. If there are no records... as for a discount of such repairs that will be needed within the next year or 10K miles.