how do you charge a dead battery

Asked by Mar 17, 2013 at 09:24 PM about the Dodge Stratus

left trunk light on for 4 days! Battery died

100,655

I found that my automatic charger won't touch a flat battery. I have to start off with a old fashioned manual charger to get some volts in the box then switch over to the automatic one. Leave it on the charger for 10-14 hours to top it off.

pick up a strumbacher...the one I have has lasted 25 years and works perfectly.

100,655

My manual charger is a Strumbacher. If I need to get it started, I'll hook up both chargers.

21,315

if not coming up some in 10 minutes or so[,check by headlights] try a half hour with that trunk light on for a low start of ampres ,then continue with it off

check the freshness date on the stickers on the battery. Performance will degrade 10% per year, so the age is kinda important as well-

100,655

From my diesel electric submarine days - the lead acid battery will last for around 300 full cycles from dead to full to dead. Every time you start your car, a small percentage of one cycle is used. Automotive lead acid batteries last around five years. -- When buying a battery, the better batteries have the longer warranties. After the batteries are made, they are tested and graded.

405

The easiest way is to go to a reputable battery shop, get it tested ( takes 3 mins or so). they can tell you if it can be recharged and they also have the professional chargers that can shock it back to life as long as you don't have a dead cell. most shops only charge a few bucks if it works or nothing if it doesn't and it takes a day to properly recharge.

Bernardine, did you ressurect your battery from the dead after the eight hours charge, or did you end up buying an Interstate, or some or other reputable brand as such? would like to know if the acid hasn't leaked out, there's still hope for these old batteries-

Tenspeed, think you're comparing the deep-cycle (hey, submarine?) batteries where the amount of cycles affects lifestyle...er um life cycle not the Automotive appication that sees one terrifying event then nursed back to health again by the alternator...not a 'deep cycle' when jumpstarting tenspeed's boat may deplete the thing-