2005 Dodge Stratus with Intermittent Sputtering

40

Asked by Mar 05, 2012 at 11:31 PM about the Dodge Stratus

My 2005 Dodge Stratus started sputtering intermittently a few months ago. The check engine light comes on just before it happens. I had a sensor replaced but it keeps blowing out. Mechanics said take it to someone else after replacing it 3 times. I never know when it's going to happen, although it is doing it more often now, especially when going uphill. Any suggestions?

855

Hello i am 85%sure if you replace your cam sensor you will find the problem gone this has happen quite a bit in the past to alot of people im a certified diamler chrysler technician iv seen it before many times

855

also dont forget to put new plug wires on too. make sure you also have champion spark plugs in your vehicle this is real critical even though most mechanics will say it doesnt but it does this is why each manufacture uses its own brand of plugs cause it was designed with it not other types of plugs... REMEBER THIS FOR FUTURE VEHICLE it will save you in the long run.

130

i have the same problem. tho my sputters when shifting gears, aka accelerating, i had the cam sensor changed a week ago and it starting doing it again tonight when i tried driving home from work. i doubt a spark plug would bother the engine and how it runs. try the real answer this time.

40

The problem was my cam sensor. The mechanic was trying to save me some $$ and replaced it the first two times with a generic brand (at no charge for labor on the second replacement). When the second one went out he replaced it with a cam sensor from the dealership and I have not had any problems since then.

130

How is a cam sensor from the dealership any different from the one I just had put in?

40

I'm not a mechanic so I can't answer that question. All I can say is that the first two were generic sensors and both of them lasted only a few months before my car started sputtering again. The one from the dealership has been in for almost two years and I haven't had any more trouble since it was installed. Good luck.

10

Hi I have an 2004 dodge status. the car has been not wanting to start after it gets real cold out side. There has been an sensor changed twice. not sure witch one but after it warms up outside and that is changed it runs till it get cold again. and the car has an sputter it started out small sputtering and now is doing it all the time mostly when you come two a stop or just sitting still. it doesn't sputter going down the road. any ideals out there. for us please. t sure