drive train/suspension

95

Asked by Jul 01, 2011 at 12:00 PM about the Dodge Stratus

I think my CV joint and ball joint are shot.  Please view the photos in my garage as well, but do any of you gurus know if this is a repair that I, with very basi car mechanic skills, if that, can "diy."  If not, what might be a price range for a mechanic to repair?

12,935

that CV joint looks pretty trashed, to replace it, your going to have to take the big spindle nut off first its gonna be the first bolt you see dead in the center of the brake rotor, then your going to have to remove the spindle from the ball joint (this will also tell you if the ball joints bad because it will prolly just fall apart when you go to pull the spindle) once the spindle is removedfrom the ball joint you should be able to pull out on the spindle to release that end of the axle, once the spindle end is released take a prybar or a flat head and pop the opposite end of the axle out of the transmission, from there every thing goes back together following those instructions in reverse. the CV axle will prolly be around 150 depending on which side it is, a ball joint for that car will prolly be like 30 bucks. im not a specialist with these cars by any meens so my estimates could be wrong

95

Thank you very much Dan, you make it sound so easty. I might just give it a shot.

95

So I gave this a shot and everything went smooth until I get to the final disassembly point [*#$&%*#$&^&*!]! I cannot get the CV shaft out of the transaxle case (?). Boot was torn so CV shaft came off at the tripod end easily, but that is it. The tripod case and other end of shaft is still in transaxle case. I've pryed the h out of it, beat on it with a chisel, and even took off the bolts to the housing it sets in. When I pull on the casing it slides but stops at certainl points and once it hits that point it is stuck as stuck can get. Is there a retaining pin somewhere I missed? Inside the transaxle case maybe? I opened that pan and didn't want to mess with anything in there but I didn't notice anything accessible or visible (retaining clip) that would free the end of the CV shaft. I've exhausted all sources-online, Chilton's, please help. Photo attached.

12,935

like i said im not a professional on these cars at all. but id try shifting the transmission into neutral, and while you pull the inner joint housing try rotating it, every time ive ever done a CV axle though it just popped right out of the transaxle for me with a little prying.

95

Called my uncle since he is a mechanic and he told me to use two pry bars on opposite sides, I was only using one thus far. I did it and it came right off like you said just 2 minutes after I got off the phone with him. Thank you for the feedback Dan.

12,935

no problem glad i could help