my check engine light came on a few days ago on my dodge stratus and i took it to advance and they gave me the code but i cant find what it means... the code is P0456... anyone have a clue???

Asked by Apr 20, 2010 at 11:48 AM about the Dodge Stratus

215

In the future - FYI - you don't even need to take your car to advance/autozone; etc... if you turn your key to on (not start) and off four times - it'll give you codes on the odometer - if there are none - it will show done. In re: P0456 is: P0456 - Evaporative Emissions System - Small leak detected Article by Dale Toalston ASE Certified Technician OBD-II Trouble Code Technical Description Evaporative Emissions System - Small leak detected What does that mean? The Powertrain Control Module (PCM) at different times performs various tests on the EVAP system. OBD II Enhanced EVAP systems are in place to keep fuel tank vapors from venting into the atmosphere, and instead purges them into the engine to be burned. Regular pressure tests are conducted by the PCM to monitor the sealed system for leaks. The PCM monitors the EVAP system pressure by watching the fuel tank pressure (FTP) sensor. When the sensor indicates a small leak in the EVAP system, this code is set. OBD-Codes.com on Facebook Potential Symptoms There will likely be no noticeable symptoms other than the Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL). This is because the EVAP system is a closed system and only controls fuel tank vapors, not engine management. Causes Usually this P0456 code is caused by an incorrect or faulty gas cap. Filling the fuel tank with the engine running could conceivable cause this code as well or if the cap wasn't properly tightened. Any of the following could also be the cause: * A small leak in any of the EVAP hoses or fuel tank hoses * A small leak in the purge valve or vent valve * The EVAP Canister may be leaking Possible Solutions First, using a scan tool activate the vent solenoid, sealing the system. Then monitor the fuel tank pressure (FTP) sensor. If the system is sealing properly, the number will stay consistent. If is isn't, the pressure sensor will show that as well. If the system slowly leaks, use a smoke machine and watch for smoke exiting the system at any EVAP component. Any where there is smoke exiting the system, that is the faulty component. Do not pressurize the EVAP system with air pressure. Doing so can damage the purge and vent solenoids in the system. Other EVAP DTCs: P0440 - P0441 - P0442 - P0443 - P0446 - P0453 - P0455 - P0456 I currently have the P0440 and 0041 on my 03 Stratus 2.4L - I'm thinking it's the gas cap -- so before I go into more costly diagnosis - I'm going to start and replace that. Good luck to ya!

100

I had the same code last week. Windward Dodge wanted $126 for diagnostic. I took my Stratus to J's Brake & Automotive in Punalu'u where we have our company vehicles maintained. He read the diagnostic, said that it's an emission problem where there's basically crud build-up in the exhaust, and recommended a can of "Sea Foam" with my next full tank of gas. Put it in the same night...and the light hasn't come back on since. I can feel the difference in how my car runs. Before you invest heavily in repairs, try a can of "Sea Foam"!!

130

i tried that and my check engine light is on. it sputters in drive shifting gears and it stalled on my mother too. but nothing came up when i tried the code thing. any idea?

40

ERG Valve needs replaced

40

MPR - Purge Valve