car thermostats

20

Asked by Dec 12, 2010 at 06:19 PM about the Dodge Spirit

What is the difference or purpose behind a lower degree thermostat and a higher degree thermostat (what season do you use which) and how do you test to see if the thermostat is faulty and are fail safe thermostats worth it?

10,785

generally most cars run a thermostat between 190 and 210, any lower or higher than this it sort of begins to affect performance of the car, ive never heard of a "fail safe thermostat" from what i know of they all work on the same principle of wax melting at a specific temperature allows a spring loaded valve to open. but the best idea is to just stay with the 210 degree stat your car prolly came with

235

I have herd of the fail safe thermostats and have herd of people having problems with them so I would stick with a regular one. You can test a thermostat by placing it in boiling water to see if it opens. A lower degree thermostat will open sooner than a higher degree one will. I generally use a 185 degree thermostat and don't change it for different seasons, but some people use a lower degree thermostat for the summer and a higher degree thermostat for the winter. The reason they use a lower temp thermostat is to cycle the coolant through the radiator at a lower temperature to keep the engine cooler. The reverse is true for a higher temp thermostat, which is why it is used in the winter.

145

Lower Degree thermostats are for warmer climates, like the southern states. Higher degree T-stats are for Colder to Extreme cold Temps. To test a T-stat; Put some water in a pot, drop the T-stat in, bring to a boil and watch it, when you see the thermostat move (Open), check the temperature of the water. The Temp marked on the T-stat should be the same as the temp reading of the water.