I am having problems putting gas into my 2008 Dodge 1500 gas comes back up filler pipe kicking the pump off takes along time to fill up the truck that way any ideas.

Asked by Mar 23, 2012 at 10:33 PM about the Dodge Ram 1500

3,035

since this is a truck , it should'nt be too hard to look inside the rear fender an see if the vent tube is kinked or if it has a low spot (where fuel could puddle inside the hose and reduce the breathing out of vapors ) . Also look at the main fill hose (the larger of the two ) and see if it's got any of the same issues as the vent might have... PBN

695

fill at a slower rate by applying less pressure on the filler handle. or pull the nozzle out a little while filling so that air can escape. or do as Peter has suggested, gas flow is restricted in all cases.

3,035

sometimes if there's hard line inbetween two hoses ,you can loosen the hose clamps and roate the elbows of either the hard line or the hoses to a different position which favors smoother flow of liquid into the tank . my old 69 charger had to have the nozzle facing the trunk lid in order to fill with the auto lock on .PBN

6,275

if it continues you are going to need a new fuel tank, there is a check valve at the end of the fill tube hose that allows air to pass and fuel to flow. Recommend new fuel tank

6,275

by the waqy the check vavlve is part of the tank itself sorry

12,005

Has it always been that way??? Did something get put in there possibly?? Loosen clamp at top of tank for filler hose and take a look.

3,035

I have never ran across any factory malfunction that could'nt be fixed ... your attitude is a dead giveaway as to why we are 150 trillion dollars in debit !!!

12,005

You can tig on a gas tank. Let me know how that works out.

12,005

Sorry Irolad for wasting every ones time, but this LITTLE Peter guy annoyed me like a pesky LITTLE fly. So I reported him and have a reply. I hope you get your problem figured out seeing as this was the original purpose of this posting. As for you little Peter your intelligence shows in the fact that you cant even think far enough ahead to put your thoughts into ONE message. Its real tough of you to call me names and insult people from the internet. Your a good example to the kids you mention.............Be a coward and call people names from afar. AND you really think that the average person asking questions on here is able to go through all the steps you mentioned........ 1. take tank off 2. fill with 3/4 water 3. get some CO2 (everyone has some of that) 4. fill the tank the rest of the way with a non-visible gas 5. buy a bunch of alcohol rinse tank again. 6. buy a bunch of thinner 7. rinse tank again. After all that hope that you have done everything properly so you don"t blow the garage up....... Oh yes don"t mention the $2000 tig welder, filler rod, tungsten rod, welding helmet etc. Then after all that hope that there are no leaks OR...........if tank is bad buy a $150 gas tank with a warranty of no leaks and the ability to fill it as the original question asked. Hmmmmm can"t decide.....

3,035

it's really not that difficult , JB weld works just as good as long as you get the metal clean and use a heat lamp to cure it ... but you didn't ask about that did you .. all I did was to answer your question .. then you set the hook , HMMMM what's he really up to..... HMMM ... why would me answering your question about tig welding a gas tank "piss" you off ? It's just a hypothetical situation asked by you "you can tig weld a gas tank , let me know how that works out " So I went to the trouble of explaining it to you in case you were unaware of the process .... YOU then went on to iscredit me by slandering my entire post as if it were a last resort fix 'cause nobody can afford argon gas or Co2 . Well gee wizz Mr. wizzard both of these are pretty common if you have a wire welder (MIG) your in business ... My welder did not cost anywhere near two grand , and most people over the age of twenty that work on any thing have a welding helmet of some kind . .I just don't really understand why you find it so nessesary to defend the guy saying "buy a new tank " and if I welded the darn thing it would not leak .... hell even if the tank is plastic , I 've got a plastic welder that will take care of that too ... I can't understand why the sharing of knowlege as such would render you (pissed ) ? unless you have no idea how to fix anything ,and you just type away on here to impress the girls or boys or something .. PS you could alsojust let the tank sit in a hot room for a couple of days to dry out ... does this enhance your calmness ? I hope so , gee I'm sure sorry that I made you mad next time I will do better ... PEACE ..

6,275

LOL..... I am very pleased to see that someone else feels the same about that guy. -his Ram has a plastic tank, how do you tig weld plastic? There should be no repairs on any newer fuel tank. I was a chrysler cert tech for 11 years- ive seen the same thing happen on a few - hence the reason I suggested these things. By the way nice ride there Pete.

3,035

hey hey !!!! A genuine MOPAR MAN !!! yea I guess he ran away . I was really offended by his comment " Little Peter" how the hell would he know ? thanks for the accolades , If ya want to see my baby go to my garage and look .. keep me posted brother ....PBN

6,545

I want to know how to weld a plastic tank...lol

60

I just worked on a 2010 dodge ram 1500. we found the either the check valve on the top of the tank was sticking or the evap canister was slowing down air to cause the restriction. either way I had come up with an answer to fix the problem and it works because we just put twenty gallons as fast as we could put it in at the gas station. we first pulled down the tank and checked all hoses for plugging or kinks. there were none. next checked the flapper. working great. finally i whipped off the fill neck and blew on the tank. it created air pressure that wouldn't vent. well it did vent but very slowly. so to fix the problem by installing a new vent line into the plastic tank just above and to the right of the fill tube. drilled and tapped a 3/8 pip fitting to a 5/16 nipple. put silicone on and around the threads. removed the recirculating line and plugged it on the tank and run the new vent line next to the filler tube and plugged into the old recirculating line coming from the filler neck by the cap. hope this helps.

10

Deweyy, I want to try this on mine. Any issues with the pump at station stopping when full after the fix? Also did it throw any codes after repair?

60

No codes and no problems shutting off when full. The fuel doesn't come out if that what you mean good luck. I see the fellow every day and once a week he Thanks me for the cheap fix.

I have a 98 Chevy s-10. A while back my low fuel light went on and stayed on. So I have been calculating miles to gallons. Tonight I went to put twenty bucks in my tank and the filler wouldn't let me put more than a squeeze in the tank. I got to two gallons and it started to come out. Could this be the same issue as with the dodge u guys were talking about? I could really use the help.

185

VENT ISSUE WITH RAM1500 GAS TANK. I just worked on my tank last week. I took and sprayed some WD40 into the vent line going to the tank. I let it set for 2-3 hours. I then took and blew in and out on the line which freed up the check ball. Once it is freed up you will hear it move. It has been one week and I have not had any issues with it since.

185

VENT ISSUE WITH RAM1500 GAS TANK. I just worked on my tank last week. I took and sprayed some WD40 into the vent line going to the tank. I let it set for 2-3 hours. I then took and blew in and out on the line which freed up the check ball. Once it is freed up you will hear it move. It has been one week and I have not had any issues with it since. UPDATE:Just want to update everyone and let them know that the check ball is still working great. I think I'm going to oil it every month just to make sure that this do not happen again. (5/27/2014)

10

Jbarton946, how did you access the vent line to spray wd40 in it? Can you get to it without dropping the tank?

185

Yes you can. You just need to disconnect it from the filler tube just behind the fender.

185

The vent line will be the small line.

70

I got a letter from Chrysler last week stating they will replace the check valve on the tank on 2007 and 2008 Rams.

20

I started having this same problem earlier this year when it got cold...would go to put gas in and at about a gallon would start having the fill neck full and shutting off. Dribble, dribble, dribble to put any amount, about $10, before I would just give up. Once the weather weather warmed up no problem so far this summer until today. First day below 50degrees here in Tennessee and bamm, problem with putting fuel in the tank again. Can't live with this. I'm reading about the vent hose, check valve, replace tank etc, then DodgeHemi61 gets a letter that Chrysler is sending out letters that they will replace the check valve on the tank, oh yeah, did I say mine is '07. Dodge...is there anyway you can post that letter for others to see or use at the Stealer and get them to do some free work? Let us know. Thanks, J

110

My 2008 Dodge Ram 1500 did the same thing with the gas coming out. I removed the lines on the EVAP canister on the side of the gas tank at the fuel pump then filled tank with no problems, so I replaced the EVAP canister on side of fuel tank and now I don't have that issue with gas coming out as I fuel up and don't have to fill tank slow, I just put nozzle in and fill tank as I normally did without any issues. Hope this was helpful to anyone with the same issue.

110

Here is a diagram of the EVAP canister

110

And one from Napa

110

I removed lines 5 and 6 when at the pump to do my test to see if I could fill tank normally.

50

I just took my 2008 Dodge to the Dodge Dealership in Huntsville Al to have the fuel inlet check valve replaced that is under warranty and they said that it didn't fix the problem and that I would need a new tank which would cost $1135.94. They said it was not under warranty anymore and they fixed what was under warranty. I think they are full of it. I guess I will go get my truck tomorrow and take it somewhere else.

30

I just had the same thing happen April. That is crazy that it cost that much. I'm hoping I can figure out a way to make it work without doing that. Who has 1200.0" bucks for a new tank.

50

I have a 2008 Dodge Ram 1500 ....Dodge dealership in Greenville SC says it needs a new gas tank due to the check valve in the tank....says its because I filled it so many times over the past years.....

30

JHHorton. There was a extended warrenty put on the check valve. So they should be replacing the tank since they are the guys whole molded in the check valve into the gas tank. That makes no sense to me at that they wwarrenty the valve and then when replacing the fuel filler neck doesn't work then it becomes our problem. I think I am just going to drill and tap my tank and out in a one way ball valve and see if that works.

30

My truck only has 81,000 miles on it too. How much fuel can I have put in it.

50

My truck has 70,000 miles on it so sounds to me like they dont want to replace our tanks but its ok to make cheap tanks and charge a butt load to fix their mistake.

30

Yep. And 2002 to 2006 had check valves that could be removed from the tank but then they fused them into the tanks in 2007. Not right.

50

Anyone know what is the difference between the check valve in the vent tube/filler tube and the check valve in the tank?

50

Call Dodge Customer Assistance Center at 1 866 726 4636 if you would like to file a concern related to the fuel tank issue....the more they hear about it, the more likely they are to change something,,,,,

50

I will definitely do that in the morning. Update on my truck... my tank finally came in after being back ordered for a month and im dropping it off tomorrow to be fixed.. I hope this problem doesnt happen again!!!!

20

I found a way to fix without replacing the tank, remove the vent hose and squirt wd40 or carb cleaner in the hose and use low pressure air to cycle the vent a couple of times. Took about 24 hours to get the gunk loosened up. No problems for 2 yrs now

April had to give up on Huntsville hear Athens Dodge place is much better I am about to try freeing up the check valve and see how it goes..

10

So sad im having this problem been a mopar boy all my life air bag problem hit bumps and sway doing even know what to do disable vet can't work on it my self and can't afford to get it fix on the Lil 50 % I have a 2008 .. They let us down. And im paying $490 a month due to not so good credit.... About to let them take it away before it kill me and my grand baby

110

Update on my issue with gas coming up filler tube. First off thank you everyone for all your input. I fixed the problem. First I replaced evap canister, still had the same problem when I went and tested it, so I crawled under truck disconnected the large rubber line coming out of the canister and started pumping again again, and gas went in with no problems, so I just ended up blowing air through that line with an air compressor and it cleared the line out and I haven't had a problem yet. So if anyone else is having this problem, try that first with disconnecting that line then pump, if that works then I'd clean line out first or replace it. Hope to hear back from you all saying that worked

10

well every time in past 5 years no one could tell me y including dodge dealers they say it could be this could be that no full details they keep you on the edge its not fair i beleaive the dodge company should give all the consumers which they purchase these type of trucks if this is a recall well they should fix it, i don't like to stay at the pump more than 30 minutes to do a full tank . dodge manufacture should look in this matter .. Leo

20

I am having the same issue with my dodge 2008 ram. Has there been a recal yet?

20

I'm also having the problem on my 07 ram 1500. I hate how long it takes to put even 10$ of gas in it. What all do you have to remove to get up to the fuel lines to check for kinks or see if a evaporative leak make be causing the problem?

deweyy can I ask you some questions about how you revented that tank? my e-mail is robbiebobbie2011@gmail.com

jbarton946.....did you do the vent line thing because of stalling issues?

20

I've been through this many times in the past 2 weeks. I told the dealership my truck would not let fuel enter it, just kept kicking the pump off. They told me replace my catalytic converter because I was also getting engine lights and misfiring. Then they said I need a new gas tank because it isn't venting properly. $2300 in repairs. They did not mention anything about the warranty on the inlet check valve that's in the filler tube, I repeat in the filler tube. I was furious because I thought the check valve was molded in the top of the tank from what I read on here. That's not the case. I called warranty and sure enough my 08 ram hemi has an ex49 code for my inlet check valve to be replaced. The service bulletin states , REPLACED. I questioned it because my truck did not contain an inline check valve in the filler tube. I told them there was a discrepancy in the wording after going back and forth several times with the service manager. Anyways, they ADDED the check valve in the filler tube like the warranty states to do, which I knew wouldn't solve the problem. The roll over valve is the valve that's located at the top of the tank, which is molded and can't be removed. In conclusion we have to replace our fuel tanks. The roll over valve is the issue for not being able to fill up with fuel. The inline check valve will be added, but can be misinterpreted due to lack of knowledge by people working in service that it will fix the issue with fueling up. The inline check valve was installed, I didn't have one before, which is for overflowing of fuel, not for not allowing fuel to enter the tank. Factory issue, this pet was not installed and they are installing it due to fuel OVERFLOWING or spitting out. We all need new tanks, there needs to be another warranty or recall for the roll over valve!