rear end making funny noise

935

Asked by Dec 18, 2010 at 10:50 AM about the Dodge Ram 1500

so last night my dad was plowing snow, got his truck stuck, so we went to get mine, i got stuck for a second cuz i dont have 4wd right now, but as i was spinning my rear tires ( i have a positrac rear end) trying to get unstuck, i was rocking my truck back and forth, but when i was trying to go forward, my driver side rear axle was making noise at the wheel, i thopught great! thinkming i just snapped an axle, but i put it in reverse and i dint make the noise, but if it was in drive, it would, my dad thinks maybe it was just my ABS, and after i got unstuck the noise quit, and did not make any noise this morning on the way into town, do i have anything to worry about? i really dont want to put my old rear end back into my truck

11,425

does it have an aftermarket posi with cones and gears? or is it the dana 60 with the oem clutch pack style posi?, if its the cones and gears you might have a bad gear or cone, if its the clutch style the clutch packs are prolly starting to go, actually before my rear end in my old ram blew up it was doing some thing similar but it was happening all the time

935

to tell you the truth dan, i honestly havent the faintest idea what it is, its not the original rear end for my truck, its off my parts dodge, and the kid i bought it from had it rebuilt before he blew the motor, and he doesnt remember what it is, if it helps you, both tires spin at the same time and in the same direction,, thats why i think its a posi, but my dad says differant, minus pulling the diff plate is there another way to tell? its been a few days since the noise happened and it hasnt dont it since then, but if you could or would help me figure out what rear end i have that would be good thanks

11,425

if both tires spin at the same time its posi or possibly fully locking, was the noise it was making a ratcheting noise or did it sound like things were breaking?the only way to really tell what axle you have is to look it over for markings i believe the axles were stamped with what they were like dana 60 or 80 or 45 and so on, but i would just start with pulling the diff cover off, you can rotate the tires to spin the differential around and look for the chrysler pentastar logo, if it has that its prolly the oem posi differential, start by doing a simple fluid change, and add some additive like royal purple or lucas, and see if the noise comes back, you could just have some really bad fluid. if its worse than that youll be able to see the typical signs of things getting hot (ie the metal bluing from heat) if you see that or tons of clutch material or metal shavings in the fluid id invest in a new differential, theyre easy to replace you just need a couple sockets, some moly grease and a set of feeler gauges

935

yeah the noise was kind of a ratcheting, but it was at wheel......dad thought i snapped the axle shaft, but both tires still rotate both ways, and if i put the truck in 4 low, it will make the noise, but it doesnt do it in 2wd, and i guess ill be doing a fluid change in the next couple days, hopefully from the motor back, cuz i have to drive to texas here in a day or two, thanks for the help

11,425

hmm thats strange that it only does it in 4 low, id really have to hear the noise for my self at this point

595

Probly a broken u joint. Just turn full lock and look

11,425

the only ujoints on the rearend are on the drive shaft if one of those broke the thing would just fall off haha

935

well i know for a fact it aint the driveshaft, i already replaced it about 3 months ago, after i lost it haha and i know sounds can carry through out parts and what not, but i cant hear it anywhere else other than right at the wheel, so i know its in the drum for sure, but it hasnt made that noise for a while now, so i guess ill just wait and see what happens, luckily ive still got my original axle in the yard still. but thanks for all the info dan

595

Lol I shoulda read the whole topic. Iv had the little pin that secures the king pin break but that made a huge mess that started my. One ton build lol

595

Oh and he forgets to mention he has different gearing front and rear via rear axle swap

935

thegearing doesnt matter at this point. A) its winter and slick, the tires can rotate how ever and not ruin anything. B) i dont have front wheel drive so not everything is turning, but as ive mentioned, its at the wheel, and as of today, 12 25 2010, im in texas, i live in colorado, drove over 1200 miles and no problems, so idk what it is, and the further i drive it, im starting to not care about it anymore, but im still up for any suggestions thanks