There was a dime in the socket, I didn't know that. I pushed it in. It blew the fuse. I

55

Asked by Apr 25, 2011 at 11:40 AM about the Dodge RAM 150

My truck was running and I went to use the cig lighter. There was a dime in the socket, I didn't know that. I pushed it in. It blew the fuse and the motor cut off. I changed the fuse and the truck still won't start. ANY IDEAS WHAT ELSE BLEW?

Check the PCM fuse

55

If that fuse was blown would evrything else electric still work? Where exactly is the fuse located?

everything but the ignition system/computer would work, it is a popular circuit to tap into because it is only powered when the key is in the run position. Not sure where the fuse is located on that vehicle.

55

I looked in a Haynes Manual today and could'nt find anything regarding PCM.

195

Try the ballast resistor on the fire wall, if that's not it try jump starting it, watch the ampmetre, if it's not charging you need a new voltage regulator. Either way it's minor. If this truck is newer then 1988 and has EFI it may have a computer, and in that case you may want to check that out, but I doubt that will be an issue

55

If I turn the key to the start position and jump out the dolenoid it turns over but doesn't fire up. I need to find the PCM OR ECM whatever it's called and test voltage at it. Is there any fusable links I'm missing? Are there any other fuses in the fuse block that would not give power to the ignition module. I'm freaking out. I got to get this truck back on the road.

check ecm -pcm fuse,they locatedin fusebox under dash on driver side,left of steering wheel,they are numbered and tell you which fuse is where on fuse box cover.

55

The main fuse block or a different one? I thought there was only one fuse block under dash.

main fuse box,no other ones.also check the ignition fuse & crank fuse.what year is your truck.

55

92 ram d150 318

ok was wondering,dont think it has the pcm,it has the ecm.

when you turn the key to start position do you here a humming or hissing sound comeing from under the truck.

55

No. it seems like the whole ignition system and fuel delivery has been shut down. that's why i was wondering if there's a fuse to the ecm and even wher the ecm is located. maybe i can check it out directly

when the ecm fuse blowes that is what it is supposed to do replace ecm fuse,you should be fine.

55

And there is an ecm fuse in the main block? I will definetly check first thing in the morning. why would the cig lighter blow out that fuse though. kinda strange, huh

mainly because it is a hot fuse.

55

You know Papa I left a key part of this issue out. He had a piece of wire in the fuse slot for the cig lighter. There was no fuse just a copper jumper. That probably puts a lot more stuff in danger. BTW I appreciate you answering all these questions. Thnis is the newest MoPar I've ever owned. All the cars I owned were pre 72.

thats bad,you did remove the wire,hay friend no problem ,that is why im here,to try and help.that bit of info does help.I suggest that you have the ignition modgel checked,is possable it shorted out.any parts store can check it.is the black box under dist cap.

55

So you don't think it went as far as burning up the ecm?

what is the yellow wire comeing out of the firewall,I see it is not hooked to anything.

No

55

It's a vacuum line and it's hooked up to something. I'm gonna have time tomorrow to spend on it. I'll check every fuse and check power to the ecm. Will post any changes. I appreciate your help.

just hope it all works out.

55

I got it started!!!!!!!! I found several wires that were damaged by the surge. They had been burned inside the insulation. I had my tester out going wire to wire and found 3 that were damaged. I replaced them and it fired up. Thanks again for your help and guidance .

no problem.glad to help out.glad you got it going.enjoy the ride.