2005 Dodge neon does not shift and no speedometers. I replaced in and out sensors. Tall so serviced transmission. Checked fuses.

Asked by Apr 06, 2014 at 06:44 PM about the Dodge Neon

38,245

Not sure what you mean but I can tell you this much: If your speedometer is not working, that will cause your car not to shift properly. Your cars computer gathers info on speed in order to shift gears properly. If the cars computer is getting no info, then it doesn't know when to shift. This means you have to replace the speedometer.

92,655

Have you had the codes checked? If the speed sensor is not sending a signal then you won't have a speedo and the ECM will not tell the TCM to shift gears in the trans. So get the codes read, write them down and then repost back here and we will try to help you with further diagnosis, most parts stores can do this for you and most of them will do it for free.

120

There's 2 speed sensors on driverside behind tire change them both there 20.00 each ones an in one is out

120

My cars doing same thing changed in and out sensors and still. Or shifting I scanned it and the code came up 1603 help please

38,245

Reny, what is your make, model, year?

120

2004 dodge neon sxt

38,245

P1603-PCM INTERNAL DUAL-PORT RAM COMMUNICATION No idea what this means. I think it's something to do with the PCM. Can't find any info for a Neon. I think you may need a new PCM. If you are experiencing multiple failures, your Power Control Module most likely is bad. Try Ebay.

120

Thanks I have a lot of money into this car I just didn't want this not work if I bought the pcm. Do you think theres a chance it could be the tcm? And the speedometer don't work either would the pcm cause the speedo not to work?

120

And I found a pcm on ebay and they just need the Vin and they program it to your car then you just plug it in and your ready to go have you heard of that before

38,245

Never had to buy one myself but it sounds right. The tricky thing to know is it just your speedo that went bad or is it the TCM? I do know on Toyotas if the speedo/tach do not work the car will not shift right. Because the computer takes all the data from the cluster and uses it for proper shifting. I'm not sure if a Neon is set up the same way. You may just need a replacement speedo to fix the issue. You may want to get on a Neon forum and ask around before you blow a ton of money on electronics.

120

OK so Im gonna start with the dash cluster its the next cheep estate thing and my uncles a mechanic and he said I should start there too thanks a lot for taking your time to help others When I fix it I'll report back here with what it was

38,245

Please do...good luck!

OK so I changed the speed sensors first and it dident fix the problem.so I had it scanned it came up with the code 1603 which meant computer malfunction so I debated and debate d to change the computer because I dident no if it was the problem and or the only problem and I was pretty deep in this car as far as money goes but I finally did it and it fixed all my problems the gas gauge is not floating anymore the speedo works and it shft excellent

my 2004 Neon is doing the same thing' but the speedo was moving up and down like it was out of cotrol. I have not taken it in for a scaqn but plan on doing it in the next day or two. My questuion is, If it is the speed sensors, am I able to change them out myself? I have been working on my car myself here and there, tune up, oil change, replacing battery, replacing the knuckle that attaches to the rear wheel assembly (some jerk hit my backend and took off) changing tires,....basics i guess you can call them, but had to have a friend of mine assist me with the alternater replacement. That same friend (shes a woman, so am I) replaced my water pump two weeks ago. So back to the sensors, If I can I would like to replace them myself. I love my Neon, paid $500.00 for her the previous owner thought it had way too many mechanical problems to fix, she just wanted rid of it. All it needed was a thermostat, and a brake job. I drive her to Las Vegas once a month to visit my kids and granbabies, I work in a different city every week in california, so I am on the road with her alot. I maintain her the best I can, and if I can fix any problem myself instead of going to a shop and paying um, $280-300 for an alternator lets say, Id rather do that. Would appreciate any input on this matter. Thanks , D.J.

92,655

Should be able to do it yourself, see pic.

38,245

I would get your codes read first. Those sensors are down on the tranny. There are some videos on Youtube. Usually if your speed sensors go, you will have shifting issues. There is also a possibility of the erratic speedo. You could also have a bad computer. Post the error codes back here and someone will look them up for you.

38,245

Tennisshoes, isn't there two sensors? An input and output? I'm no Neon guy, but I think that the one to the right of the VSS is possibly the other speed sensor?

Thank you for the answers. Will keep you posted.

10

I have a dodge neon 2005 stx, I got in an accident and when i hit the other car it hit on the passenger bumper side, the speedometer does not work, the gas gauge works but the needle goes up and down. the tachometer works. my car is not shifting into 3rd gear... Is there a way to resolve this issue.? and if so how

120

Mine was doing the same thing I bought a computer off eBay from a Dodge dealer I think it was called plug and go. It was $160 I put in my self it took me 20 min and everything worked prefect again your transmission is most likely st uck in limpmode. It's a fail safe mode so you can get it somewhere to be fixed with out damaging the transmission.also this place were you order the computer programs it specifically to you car.they'll ask for the Vin # and miles