sounds like a hole in exaust when driving but goes away when I am making turns to the left

15

Asked by Jan 23, 2014 at 01:33 AM about the Dodge Durango

Hi all I just bought a used 2001 Durango but driving it home today it was making a loud sound that sounded a little like an exhaust leak but it would go away when making left hand turns or turning wheel to the left when going around a bend. That's when I figured it wasn't the exhaust, sound seemed to come from front passenger side of car. And to boot my heat wasn't working properly and my check engine light came on... sounds like a good start (seem to idle roughly with low rpm's when stopped at light.

217,875

Oh my, you got some work ahead of you. Get the car scanned for codes you might have a vaccum leak. Inspect the cooling system, maybe it's just low on coolant.

15

Hi Tom, I did the code check trick and it read me P304 a misfire in cylinder 4 so that may not me a real expensive thing. That sound that it makes when driving is a big concern I don't know if it's caused by something like a wheel bearing or who know what? the whole turning the steering wheel to the left while driving making the sound go away has me going. I'm taking her to the mechanic on Monday so I'll know better then

2,595

It could very well be a front wheel bearing, when you turn left the weight of the truck goes off the left wheel which means you could have a bad wheel bearing in the left front wheel. I would check them both, left and right wheel. you can do so by lifting the wheel just of the ground with a jack and then grab one hand on top of the wheel and the other hand on the bottom of the wheel and push in on top and pull out on bottom and rock it in and out if there is a play the bearing needs to changed out. It comes with the hub you need to know if you have 4 wheel drive and if you have 4 wheel abs or just rear wheel abs system. You may need a fuel injector cleaner next time you fill her up with gas, just ad it to the tank. If that won´t work you may need a new injector on the cylinder that is doing the misfire or it could be a bad spark plug. Battery´s that are going bad can also cause stalling, have that load tested and check if the alternator is giving out over 14 volt´s.

3,190

Cylinder 4 misfire could be several things. Im assuming you have the 4.7 engine which is coil on plug. Remove the #4 coil and plug and check the plug for wear, gap, fouling, etc. Replace it anyway. Replace all the plugs. Then, remove the coil of any easy to access cylinder and note which one it is (say #1 for example). Swap the #1 and #4 coils, clear the codes and drive the truck. If theres still a misfire, the light will come back on. Scan the computer to see which cylinder is misfiring this time. If its now #1, you know you have a bad coil. If its still #4, you know theres a more serious problem in that cylinder (such as a bad intake o-ring, injector, valve, head gasket, etc). Do the wheel bearing test as mentioned above. They are easy to replace if they are bad. Check the ball joints while you are in there. There was a recall on these trucks for bad ball joints.