key fob

Asked by Jul 11, 2014 at 10:52 AM about the Dodge Caravan

I have a 2009 dodge grand caravan sxt with gear shift on dashboard.  When I turn off the car and try to remove the key fob it only turns to accessory position and I cant remove it.
I have tried various ways to get it out and it will eventually go into the off position where I can remove it.  Sometimes it seems that if I snap the gear shift button(that I push in to change gears) it seems to work.

I have had this problem also. I have gotten it out by restarting the engine and turning it off. Sometimes it comes out after one restart, sometimes it takes two or three restarts. Hope this helps. Thankfully it's a rare occurrence.

thanks-I researched the problem and it came down to two potential problems. one was the vim and the other was the linkage. I put wd 40 on the button release of the shift handle. it seemed to help so I followed it up with silicone spray and that helped better. when it did get stuck I narrowed it down to the button release and when I "popped" it when I released it instead of just releasing it gently I didn't have to resart it and turn it off continually or just put it on accessory then on without restarting it. then as the silicone grease worked its way in it got better and better.