Ticking sound

Asked by Jul 06, 2016 at 04:57 AM about the Chevrolet Silverado 1500

I have a 92 Chevy silv.1500 so I noticed that when
I'm driving on the Fwy she starts  ticking so bad
and as soon as I would exit she was still ticking all
down the streets ...Well now she is just a ticking
machine almost everytime I drive even on just the
street.. I was told its the lifter how much am I
looking to pay??? And is that the cause of the
noise..

17,780

Have a friend that had the same problem vehicle was ticking and tapping sounded like a sewing machine tried this stuff Lucas Engine Oil Stablizer did not no at that time if it would work or not just was given it a try. Changed oil and added the Lucas let idle for about 45 minutes to an hour and the ticking and tapping was gone and that has been about 6 months ago now and still sounding good. Now I am not saying you will get the same results but it is worth a try.

57,255

Sounds to me if it is ticking that bad, definitely the valve cover needs to come off to see if there is a problem with the lifter, push-rod or rocker arm. Depending on what you find & can be fixed with the valve cover off, oil additives like firebird338 mentions, then the fix is cheap. If the intake manifold has to come off to access the lifters, then it would be a lot more expensive to repair.

70

It all depends on where the ticking is coming from, pop open your hood while your engine is ticking and try to listen where it's coming from. If it's coming from the valve covers than you have a lifter tick which means one of your valve lifters are sticking, you can try changing to full syenthetic oil I recommend valvoline full synthetic and also add that luccas oil additive, if that doesn't work re doing your valves is a pretty spends job. If the ticking is coming from the back or bitten side of the block that means it's probably your exhaust bearings which is not bad and cheap to fix, there are two exhaust bearings one on each side. And are located where the header meets the exhaust pipe, there bolted together take that apart and that is where the bearing is located.

57,255

If the engine has high mileage on it, I would not recommend using synthetic oil, wast of money. Use what ever oil the engine has ben using, find it in the high mileage oil. Additives do and may help correct the problem but by the sounds of this, there is more going on with the valve train that would need attention...if it is worth it since it is a 1992 engine. Also, I have never heard of an a exhaust bearing,

70

There is a such thing as an exhaust Bering I know that for fords the started using in late 77, because I thought mine went out because of an exhaust tick so I bought a pair but they didn't fit because it was made in early 77 therefore it did not have them. They do not look like a bearing more or less like a metal bushing.

57,255

Ok Billprendy, would you be referring to valve guides? A bushing is a bushing, bearing totally different, I know you know the difference. I just never heard of an exhaust bearing. If you could explain, maybe in the last 35 yrs of working on vehicles I missed something.

70

Sorry I guess it's called the the exhaust flange gasket. You must be a Chevy guy... If you've never heard of a part it doesn't exist and your probably one of those guy that think if you throw propane on a deseil it's the same as notorious. And you have not probably been doing this for 30 years or else you would have your own shop doing real jobs like I did and I'm only 25 and sold my shop because I prefer auto mechanic as a hobby not profession. Because that takes the joy out of it... Sorry for calling you out and making you look like an idiot

57,255

I am a stickler on terminology and also readily wanting to learn on new things. Not trying to start something hear, and have respect for all guys on this sight. Standing up to one an other here can be fun and gains respect. So then it would make sense that an exhaust flange gasket can blow out and cause a ticking sound. I have seen this many times. I think it is a good answer.

70

Sorry for that response, it was out of hand. I did think it was a bearing ao account the part store I got it from called it that, but did the research on it and found the correct name for it. I hope there are no hard feelings.

17,780

Bullprendy I applaud you you for stepping up and apologizing for your statement to Rowefast.

57,255

Right on! Enjoy the satisfaction of helping people & making new on-line friends...