2004 chevy malibu classic it will crank but not start.

150

Asked by Oct 27, 2013 at 12:43 AM about the Chevrolet Malibu

Parked car it had driven fine. Whinned  thought fuel pump might be going bad. I have fuel
pressure and smell gas in exhaust when cranking. I have checked for spark , replaced
spark plugs,coil pack , ignition control module, and power control module unit. When
checking compression it blows finger away.Spark plugs get gas on them. No fire or
turning over. Also replaced the crank position control.

sounds like the fuel pump relay is bad~ let's shop for one~

https://www.google.com/#q=Chevrolet+Malibu+fuel+pump+relay

150

thank you I will check that then post if it fixes the problem.

150

It didn't fix the problem . I replaced the fuel relay.

150

now we have replaced the fuel pump relay,coil pack,ignition control module, power/engine control module unit,and new spark plugs. still crank and no start. after replacing the pcmu the fan comes on and stays for a few seconds before turning off when you turn the key. There are no code present on the code reader

...okay, the system Ground is dodgy...why else would something run for a little while then poop out...you gotta take the 1/0awg battery cable that leads to ground or chassis/fender where it connects and disconnect it wirebrush it clean...both the lug and ground spot and re-assemble to assure that 300 cold cranking amps and a reliable earth for the ECM and ignition and fuel pump...they ALL see this ground attachment point...this point ALWAYS gets buggered up from such amperages bein' pulled from this ONE spot~ (there is also a 1/0 to the motor block {near the alternator}~

get a NEW batteiy...LEAD isn't used anymore they are tin/antimony alloy and will STOP accepting a charge ten percent per year...so if yours is older than five....you are creating problems for your alternator trying to charge up a battery that won't accept a charge...not to mention a three second "dead- short" load test would kill it, whereas a fresh new battery would survive and still be able to start the car...rather than taking a whole day to sorta charge back up~

the main connection lug and attachment points are made from dis-similar metals...when in electrical contact will share a bit of each other mixed with ambient moisture conditions and the high amperage is the SOURCE of the corrosion on the ground surfaces...that WE count on to deliver a steady 12.5 volts...that your ECU depends on for making critical decisions~ this is kind of a built-in failure point and especially troublesome in wet environments~

some automakers actually run two 1/0 cables off of the battery for this reason...we have to have the critical decisions made by a reliable source...they understand the nature of the materials.....some automakers will NEVER learn~....or are just so damn cheap chasin the $$$ to think about their rash decisions~

20

Did you get it fix

10

sounds like maybe timing chain broke remove valve cover crank motor check to see camshaft is turning if not timing chain broke

My 04 Chevy Malibu 4 cal has spark and fuel pressure, starts fine with brake clean into the air horn. Does not fire off on its own. I believe that the injectors are not pulsing. Any ideas?

It originally had a bad fuel pump, replaced the pump and ran fine for a few months, then it had a faulty ignition module, replaced it and ran just fine for 2 months. Now the injectors aren't pulsing. Starts fine with brake clean sprayed into the vacuum port on intake tube. Will not stay running though. I don't think the crank sensor is bad because it has spark and fires easily with spray. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.