have a 91,3.1 it will crank over but not start.have had fuel pump and fuel filter changed and still wont start..any ideas

Asked by Aug 26, 2013 at 07:00 PM about the Chevrolet Lumina

got spark at the sparkplug? if spark is there and fuel delivery is there (could check with a little starting spray) then check the odometer as most assuredly a 91 crossed the 100,000 years ago and should have had ye old stretched out timing chain to let loose....in your case jumping a tooth to retard the spark (all guesses btw)~

If your timing chain popped, then the valve train will have gotten wrecked, that's why the 3.1 is known as an "interference" type engine. It's a relatively expensive repair. Does the car crank more rapidly than normal? That's an indication. But another way to tell, is to pop off the front valve cover and see if anything is moving when you crank the engine. I'll cross my fingers for you. I lost my little Sunbird years ago due a popped timing chain, and no money to get it fixed........ The Crank Shaft Position Sensor (CSP), on the other hand is a cheap part, and relatively easy to change. It is located toward the rear of the engine, and beneath..... you should be able to access it with a moderate level of difficulty. It is a common replacement part, per se. If yours has never been changed, it's probably due anyway. They start to fall apart from heat, and oil, and so forth, after many years of use. Your Knock Sensor, if bad, won't allow your Ignition Control Module to operate. It is located near, above, the CPS... change it as well since you'll be in the neighborhood... and again... your car (like my '90) is OLD, so upgrading a few inexpensive parts is a good idea..... that is if your timing chain is still OKay..... and be careful with the wiring and connectors.... they will most likely be brittle, and will fall apart easily with rough handling..... INSPECT everything while your working on the engine..... again, and again..... it's VERY OLD... and things, especially rubber (vac lines, hoses, bushings, etc...) begin to disintegrate from time, heat, and grime....... The Oil Pressure Sensor is also a switch for the Fuel Pump. Listen for your Fuel Pump to prime when you turn the key without starting the car. If it doesn't, then you need to inspect/replace your Oil Pressure Sensor/Switch and it's associated connector/wiring. If your oil pressure guage is maxing out (80 PSI) that's a possible indication of "badness". The sensor/switch is located near the starter, close enough that if a wrench or metal object is dropped down there, it can (and often does) arc between the starter and sensor "can" burning a hole through the thin tin of the sensor "can". It is located just above and between the starter and the oil filter. If you need to or desire to change it, It normally requires a special socket, but if you drop the starter and oil filter you can get to it with a pair of channel locks or large vice grips........ while you're doing Anything, Inspect Everything..... I can't stress that enough..... your car is OLD.... much like us..... things begin to fall apart and rot after many years of use and/or abuse..... .....just for fun, here's a video of my new car.....about twice as old as my '90 Chevy Lumina Euro Coupe..... but, in fact, in better original condition..... I believe it's the care and maintenance that matters most to the health and well being of any vehicle....... I hope things turn out well for you and your car....... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eHTV- co5JV0