The starter was smoking so we decided to replace it. By the time we did replace it the battery had died. When the jumper cables was attached it started itself up without the key being put in the

20

Asked by Mar 16, 2014 at 04:51 AM about the Chevrolet Cobalt

Ignition and turned on.  The starter
began smoking.  The engine didnt
sound right either.  Then it wouldnt
start.  Can you please help me with
this.

1,370

It sounds like either like your starter relay is sticking or your ignition switch is bad. Change your relay its easier and cheaper and if that doesnt solve it then move on to ignition.

Best Answer Mark helpful
25,695

ok- you got yourself a mess there podnuh- the clue is that the car tried to start itself- you didn't hook the wires up right when you replaced the starter- or more likely, they were touching each other- did you disconnect the battery when you replaced the starter? woah- let's back up- why was the starter "smoking" in the first place? did some wires come loose and short themselves? sounds like it- just check the wiring, or, if you are in over your head, tow the car to a mechanic and let him sort it out-

122,855

What year cobalt? These are known for ignition switch issues. Check yours to see if its in the recalls or service bulletins. Failure to fix the ignitions on these vehicles could result in serious injury or death.

20

The battery was disconnected. Not sure why it started smoking. My daughter was on her way home from work. Its a 2006 chevrolet Cobalt LT. It is one of the ones but the letter stated the parts wouldnt be in till April.

20

She pulled the car over and I had it towed here.

122,855

Ok this is just my opinion. But from what I have been hearing they are not even totally sure that the fix is a cure for the safety issues with these ignition switches. If it was mine I would seriously be considering getting her another vehicle.

1,370

Agreed. I wouldnt want to be trapped In a car fire. My worst fear/ nightmare!

20

I wish I could buy another car but I dont have the money for that.

1,370

Well check recalls for that car and then fix it. Just make you keep an eye on whatever happens. Look out for symptoms!

20

I will do that.

20

Just figured I would update since I posted this a while back . We took the starter off and went the auto parts store and they replaced my starter because apparently the starter was a bad starter. Put the new one on and bought a new battery. Now the car runs like it should. Thank you all for trying to help me.