I am having a brakes problem, but can't narrow it down to one thing. When I apply the brake in my 2008 Cobalt LT Sedan the car vibrates in the pedal and in the steering wheel. What could it be?

Josh Leonard

Asked by Nov 23, 2011 at 05:43 PM about the Chevrolet Cobalt

John Ross

Does this happen under normal braking conditions or under hard conditions? Also do you hear any noise while this is happening? Truth be told the symptoms you mentioned kinda leave it open to a number of possibilities. Bad rotors/pads,bad wheels or even bad suspension parts this list goes on.

Josh Leonard

It does it with both types of braking but mostly under normal braking conditions. What noises are you taking about? If you are talking about a rattling sound that sounds like it coming from the steering wheel then yes I hear noises but if you are talking about other noises then no.

John Ross

Sounds like it could possibly be a bad ABS sensor. Have a diagnostic test done on it and see if that brings up any trouble codes. If not that then it could be a warped rotor having them machined or replaced could fix it. I would check out the fluid level as well it could be just a simple low fluid level or air in the lines. Hope this helps.

Josh Leonard

I never thought about that it could be the ABS sensor or the fluid level but I will have it checked thanks.

My Cobalt is an '09 with Brembo Brakes standard. On my first ('07) model, the disk brakes were just not enough to last-they warped way too soon. If you drive hard at all, it is probably warped from overheating-brakes' #1 enemy. You can spend time turning the stock rotors-but I would replace then with any number of aftermarket (like the Powerslots i used on my 07) or even see about adapting the Brembos available from salvage or new from Chevy. it really has made my stopping smooth and quiet to have drilled and slotted rotors put on.

change the front rotors itll fix your your problem the inside of the rotors are worped thats what makes it vibrate in pedal and wheel

Mathieu Beauchamp

bab rotors

Christian Bocka

I have the same exact problem i just changed my rotors yesterday and theyre doing the same thing. is there any other way to fix this without spending money on brembos or any other aftermarket brakes? im tight on cash so if there is please let me know

try this if you have drum beaks in rear go about 50 then pull on e break not to hard and see it vibrate or shake f so cut the drums the only thing that makes break vibrate is worped rotors or drums or rear rotors on inside thats where the piston is and it if the rears are rotted itll make it vibrate to

Josh Leonard

Thanks guys- I was able to fix the problem. I had to buy one new rotor, and was barely able to turn one rotor. I also changed the brake pads. That fixed the problem. I haven't had a problem since.

Chris McGee

WARPED ROTORS!!!! replace left and right front brake rotors to correct the problem

Christian Bocka

Yea same problem here i replaced rotors and pads but used ceramic pads so they dont overheat. also make sure your rear drums are adjusted, if theyre not that means the front brakes are doing all of the work which will make them overheat and warp incredibly fast

Christop Whatley

You have the wrong breakpads chevy has 2 different pads available one for front breaks with rear drums and one for front disk with rear disk they fit each other but knock and shake when the wrong is install

OK I got a Chevy cobalt LT coup. My brake light comes on and goes off. Its got new brake no leaks. I pulled the senser switch from resavor and light still stays on. Does that mean I need a new rezavor???