1980 Chevy Camper Van

Asked by Aug 11, 2013 at 12:50 PM about the Chevrolet Chevy Van

The van has sat in the back yard for a year without being started, tried to start it last month and nothing.  Tried charging the battery but it wouldn't take, we tried jump starting it with a little sputter and nothing either, changed the battery and still nothing.
My dad had put a marine battery in so I took a photo of it and took it to buy the same kind, BCAA wouldn't install it for me because of liability of it being too big and no tie down, so I changed it myself following simple directions.  I just want to be able to move it to another spot on the property.
Any ideas why it won't turn over?  Is it worth getting it towed to a mechanic and what could be the potential costs?
My mom isn't ready to get rid of it for sentimental reasons
Thanks in advance,
Serena

7,025

If all you are looking to do is move it from one spot to another, find someone with a truck or larger tractor and pull it. A quick $20 and no messes to work with electrically or fuel wise. Wont turn over because the block could be seized, the carb could be fouled up, the plugs could be bad, the timing could be off, the fuel lines could be leaking, the coil could be bad, the distributor might not be creating spark, and on and on from there. Asking why it wont turn over with the information you have given us is too vague to point you in any kind of correct direction to fix it. Is it worth it to fix ?, well first it is 33 years old so who know what it will take to get it "road ready" after sitting for a year. The costs by a mechanic could be $200 or more (safely go with the or more) and if its only for sentiment, then why take it on the road and have it get hit by someone to make her feel worse.

Thank you! I didn't think it would be worth sinking money into just for sentimental reasons. And no the point wasn't to take it on the road but just have it run, I would never drive it and neither would my mom, but it was considered to give it to one of my dads brothers... not now ;)