Chevrolet 1997

10

Asked by Mar 23, 2017 at 10:19 PM about the Chevrolet Cavalier

Is it just me or why is it this issue with anti theft on a
20year old car . Seems to be a unsolvable
problem???????

82,845

What issue is that? Security systems don't shut off because they get past a certain date.

54,515

It's just you.....

10

Well thanks I was referring to several others I read on hear also. But ok this car is our daughters bought it from a good friend. Had no issues like this before. We had it worked on professionally ( dealership ). Not to mention put on the machine that gives you the codes to fix what it finds. I didn't realize cars had anti theft on them that's 20 years old. Plus in this situation of age of the car there has to be a fix that shouldn't take prying information that seems to be secret. To fix a good car except for this stupid problem. Over 800.00 to fix it at dealership.

71,635

You have an early PASSKEY system. By the way, my '94 Fleetwood has GMs VATS security system which obviously predates your Cavalier. GM will not, under any circumstances, give out information about their security systems no matter how old the vehicle is!! In 2010 I needed to get a duplicate set of keys made for a 1967 Fleetwood that I owned. I knew that the key codes were and are available for any Cadillac going back to 1903, with a few years that the records have been lost (1968 for example). But believe me, it practically took an act of God to get the key codes for my 43 year old Cadillac. After being thrown out of my local Cadillac Dealer's parts department I spoke with the manager at my local Chevy Dealer's parts department. He agreed to accept a phone call from Cadillac with the key codes. When I called Cadillac I had to give them the man's first and last name, the name and number of the dealership. I then had to show him my driver's license and the vehicle registration before he would release the key codes. The whole ordeal took almost a week. This is GMs policy and they don't fool around or make any exceptions with it!! I'm assuming that you got the car fixed. You were very smart by having the dealer work on it!! Otherwise it could have been a real mess. There is a 10 minute relearn procedure but it will only work on very specific circumstances. SO many people think that it'll just work in any situation where the security system breaks down. When it doesn't they start throwing parts and MONEY at it only for the system to STILL not work!! Those people spend more than the $800 you did to have it fixed and fixed RIGHT the first time!! HTH. -Jim