Hi! I have a 1996 Chevy Blazer, and it's started to randomly die while I'm driving. It doesn't sputter, it's just like someone turned the key off. Any suggestions? Thanks!

5

Asked by May 16, 2014 at 08:23 PM about the Chevrolet Blazer

I've replaced the distributor, (cap and button too), the ignition lock cylinder, the spark plugs and wires, and a blown fuse since it started acting up, but it's still dying!
4.3L, 6 cylinder

10,375

I would recommend inspecting your fuel delivery. It may be your fuel pump cutting out? Do you have any codes (Check engine light coming on)? Is the Security light coming on? Test the fuel pump relay under the hood in the fuse/relay center. Does the vehicle start right back up after it stalls?

16,865

you replaced the lock cylinder but not the igntion switch? That would be the one of the 2 that "could" casue this issue. Do you have any trouble codes? Can you have them checked and post the codes back here?

5

I took it to an autoparts store nearby and had them run a diagnostics test, and it didn't throw any codes. The vehicle does start right back up after it dies, but the only lights that come on are the battery light and the check gages one, the battery one first. I've had the battery tested though, and I was told that it was actually a bit stronger than what I needed, but that it wouldn't cause this.

10,375

My only other thoughts, like Andrew brought up is the actual ignition switch in the column or check the main 12v power leads. Mainly the secondary (smaller) one that terminates on the starter. There you will see two threaded posts with nuts that tighten on the connections on the back. Check to make sure they are not corroded, rusted, loose, etc.. My thought is that there may be a bad connection supplying 12 volts to your fuse block(s) which is cutting power.

35

im having the same problem, i have swithced everything, still does it, wiring harness is next

35

my 96 blazer will run fine for a few days then out of the blue at an idle it will die (acts like its losing fuel), it then cranks over sometimes strarting right away other times the battery dies on the 2nd or 3rd crank. it has confussed the hell out of me for months now, HELP please

35

my blazer also on start up, the volts read very low an idles at about 400rpm other times when i start it volts are good an still low idle, every time i start it it reads different an idles different. i checked the alt an battery

Maybe Alternator

Try changing your fuel pump relay. A $10 to $20 part. It is in your glove compartment in the rely access. It should be the one closest to your driver's side. They all have diagrams on the side.