Is it possible my Odyssey struts are making noise and need replaced after on 43,000 miles?

20

Asked by Aug 13, 2013 at 08:57 PM about the Honda Odyssey

I have been hearing a rattle in the front right side of my car for a little while now, so when I had the oil changed last at the dealership I asked them to take a look. Of course they charged $70 (in addition to the oil change fee) to check it out and then told me the right front strut was making quite a bit of noise and the left front one was making a little too. The car is a 2010 and has only 43,000 miles on it. First of all is this normal, I've owned several cars and never had to have the struts replaced. Secondly they quoted 900 per strut in the front, so like 1,900 to have both front replaced. That seems very high to me. Any ideas?

7,135

Is this normal, NO. I know of three people who have had to replace the OEM struts at 28K, 37K and 45K (all under warranty) on Honda Passports, Odysseys and Ridgelines though. High, You mean they were high when you got the quote ? That would explain the $1900 cost. Did you go to a regular dealership to find out if it was still under warranty ? IF there is no longer a warranty covering the auto, go ask for quotes everywhere else (Pep Boys, Auto Zone, Honda dealer somewhere else, etc.).

20

Sadly this was a quote from a Honda dealer. And they told me unless I had purchased an extended warranty, this was only covered in the 3 year/36,000. No I don't have an extended warranty.

505

I would take it somewhere else,because the strut itself wont make noise,the noise might be coming from the top strut mounting plate.The mounting plates have rubber bushings in them that wear out.Mounting plates cost between 30.00 to 60.00 dollars.I would have them checked first.If you end up replacing them you should check your alinement afterwords.GOOD LUCK!!

7,135

Have another dealer or garage give you quotes to fix the problem and take "bigc52"s information into mind as well. Best thing would be to get a shop to do both the strut/mounting plates changes as required and the front end alignment all at once. Did you try SEARS, Pep Boys or a local shop ?

20

my Honda dealer told me that replacement of the upper front strut plates is covered under warranty and honda has known about this for awhile. Cause is bump stop rubbing against strut plate. They charged my $0 to replace strut plates and add Shinutsu (spelling?) grease and finished in less than half a day.

20

My car needs to go to the dealer for a similar noise issue. Took it to my usual garage and without taking anything apart, my mechanic told me he had a similar problem with his brand new car (a Hyundai still under warranty) and after replacing struts, etc, etc. 4 or 5 times, it turned out to be an issue with the steering rack, which they replaced. Solved the problem, and he recommended I start there in the event this was a known problem. My car naturally is no longer under warranty, but I'm wondering, if Honda has known about it for some time (like, since before my warranty would have expired - I've been hearing it for a while but regardless, it began a couple of months after the warranty expired), are they under any obligation to repair/replace at no charge if it's a manufacturing defect as opposed to wear and tear/driving-induced issue?

20

Oh, and my car has just under 30,000 miles on it and we took possession of it on May 4, 2011.

10

Hey the best way to save money go to the dealer ask him to locate the problem literally you have a idea about the repair and check with 1AAuto.com to order you parts with very sheap cost and look around for a good mecanic to replace the parts, I think this is the great way to save money . Have good luck . Ahmed

20

I have a 2008 Odyssey with strut mount noise and 96000+ miles. The service manual call for strut replacement at 50000 but I know if the van has been on bad roads, cared havey loads, people or other stuff the struts wear out sooner. Another thing is that you can save a lot of money by replacing the strut, spring, mount, bumpper and dust boot all at the same time in what is called a strut assy. Yes it cost more for the assy. but you save money by not having to pay to take apart the strut assy that is in the car now. Just 5 bolts and its out and new one is in about half an hour each side is all it took me and it ont a pro. Price for the new genuine honda strut assy. about $226.00 each from hondavillageparts.com just find the richt year and model of Odyssey, order parts then find a good mechanic to install them. By the way the Honda dealers in my area wanted $1700.- $2300. thats before the cost of the alinement. Im cheap and know some times you have to spen a little more up front to save in the long run. Also Honda is the only one who makes a conplete strut assy. for the 2005-2010 Odussey.

I bought the whole strut assembly from RockAuto.com and it was a Gabriel strut.