I have a 95 Honda Civic lx 5 speed 16 valve, drove to the store 3 weeks ago and all lights came on and the car just shut down. Battery, gas, new distributer all ok, what is it???

20

Asked by Dec 13, 2013 at 09:43 PM about the Honda Civic

mechanic helped when i broke down and assured us it was the distributer ( 200$ part) all comes together, it, the cap, rotor, coil, etc; keeps spinning like it wants to start but don't! Battery is great, fuel is fine, have spark..do believe he woulda known if it was the starter but idk. please help, its Christmas and I need my car for flower deliveries

106,135

Have you had someone check the timing?

106,135

Timing belt could have jumped a tooth or two. Have someone check the timing. If it's out of time have the timing belt replaced.

20

timing was checked and all good

106,135

Was you driving it and it quit? Or just tried to crank it at store and it would not start?

19,535

sounds like you dropped the new distributor in ,if so, it will turn with spark but it must be dropped on the compression stroke, it can be a half turn off and get what looks like good readings on timing, except your no. one piston is not up top on compression its up on exhaust.lift it and turn it a 1/2 turn.drop in and lock the hold-down clamp

20

We did all that stuff, my mechanic worked for a great company and checked all that he could w/out a computer. To the very nice guy who has answered me a lot, I was driving and it just shut down. Thats why we thought it was an alternator or timing at first?? Was shocked to see it wasn't. Were going to put it on the computer at a shop tomorrow. I'll let ya know what they find =]

10

Yep, I am stuck too. I have a Honda do the same thing Thursday night. I Was making a left hand turn and when I straightened out the car and went to press the gas pedal, it shut off and now it won't crank back up. I have replaced the dizzy cap and rotor button, replaced spark plugs (even checked the gap), checked all fuses, it's getting fuel to the fuel rail, it's getting spark (checked all plugs and wires), and all the motor does is just turn over. ECM was just checked a few minutes ago. The main relay was also checked. ~ Stumped and Confused!