Engine Swap

5

Asked by May 11, 2009 at 05:13 PM about the Honda Civic

im gettin a civic soon but I dont know if i should swap the engine for a b18c1 or a B20 VTEC??
p.s. "I want to turbocharge it!!!"

5

you choose B20 vtec engine its more powerfull than B18c. I have been to b18 then i swicth to b20b.

25

Yeah V-tec all the way for a Long term Power Boost. My 98 Civic has a B-18 Without the V-tec and it's still strong enough as is to Beat a newer Mustang, but not by much and only off the line, Long term, I'd definately say go with the V-tec, it should handle the Turbo Better then the Non-V-tec as well.

395

lol so wrong. v-6 mustangs don't count. vtec head or not, they will handle about the same amount of power. boost doesn't blow motors horespower does

25

Yes True, But I'm pretty sure I heard from my friend that the top half of the block on a V-tec Engine is what's differents compared to a non-V-tec. I just meant better for it as in if it's stronger it'll holdout against more HP then a weaker one. And yeah, Maybe V-6 Mustangs don't, But Where I live, There's allot of East indians that buy them and think they've got the fastest car. I surprise them every time.

395

you've got some things confused. you don't blow the head of an engine, so saying that the vtec head is "stronger" isn't right. when motors go its usually a connecting rod, cylinder rings, or head gasket. a head may be damaged from one of those components breaking first then slamming a piston into a valve or something. a vtec head will generally make more power from forced induction because they already flow better and have a more aggressive cam profile. but can can typically be overcome with porting and a new valvetrain, which, btw, would probably be cheaper then buying a c1 or c5 head.

395

b18c would make more reliabel horsepower. what are you driving right now? how much do you already know?

25

Yeah I'm not sure on the Mechanic Side of things, I just pickup a Fair Bit from my buddy while he's working in his shop. I remembered him Saying something about the Head on the Engine Being stronger, So I'd assume it could handle more. I'm just the driver though, not the Mechanic.

15

B18C1!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5

im getting an eg3 civic hatch

5

i know alot, im hopin to make a bit more than 400 horse. Im fully aware that i will have to get the block prepped for a turbo. It's gonna be a nice project for me and my dad, but I also want it to be my daily driver.

15

so u want a 400 hp front wheel drive, daily driver? good luck pulling it out of ditches as your car will suddenly decide to love them very much. it will tourqe steer like a bitch i use 297 on my civic and iv seen 310 on a daily driver and i admit it can be a handful but also fun but i wouldnt say to go any more than that unless u dont wanna go around a corner

395

your going to need a cage