How to figure out why my car is overheating

Asked by Apr 08, 2014 at 07:03 PM about the Honda Accord

My 1995 Honda Accord Wagon is overheating within about 10 minutes of running. Idle
or not.

Symptoms:
Heat not working, but strong and constant blow, just cold
Overheating
Fans turn on and off intermittently
MAP sensor is broken and will be replaced. I'm 90% sure this is unrelated, but thought
I'd mention

I've swapped the fan relay for the power window relay and the symptoms seem to be
the same. I've nudged the fan blades when they were not spinning and they started
spinning a couple times, but not every time.Would appreciate any ideas on how to fix
this or things to investigate.

4,045

have you checked your coolant level?

Yes, the coolant is full. I also changed out the thermostat, so had to flush the coolant for that.

4,045

when you flushed the coolant, did you turn the heat on? that way the coolant can run throught the heater core

20

Have you had it checked for leaks? Like the coolant hoses, crossover tubing that's underneath. If it's just blowing cool air and no heat, it's likely the switch that controls ac/heat. The cable inside the dash comes loose from its bracket, and when you turn the knob, the cable isn't actually moving to go from ac to heat. You have to take the dash off, starting from the left of the steering column, and work your way across, removing each switch mechanism and screws. This is fairly simple, but I ran into a problem with reaching 2 screws that hold the dash on, and they are located at the bottom side, and you can't get to them unless you remove the entire console frame and radio. Fixing the cable is the easy part. You simply loosen the clamp screw, move the cable back into position on the clamp, and retighten the screw. It's getting the dash frame apart to get to the cable apparatus. Good Luck. There is a video you can watch online where the mechanic performs this entire "fix", but he didn't tell about those 2 screws you can't get to! But watching that video will show you exactly how to do it all. Very helpful!!