2003 Accord code P0341?

1,965

Asked by Feb 12, 2012 at 06:23 PM about the Honda Accord

incorrect phase detected.Cleared code with my scanner.Code came back,could be Variable valve timing control solenoid filter clogged.Any other possibilities.  

755

Your looking at a big job. Most likely your timing chain has stretched and skipped some teeth on the camshaft. You will need to replace the timing chain and the cam gears.

1,965

I would agree to that statement but,the car is still running fine and doing industrial maintenance for 25years plus . I don't think it has jumped time.

755

I work at a honda dealership and it will continue to run(probably jump just a single tooth at this point), but it may jump more teeth and could easily bend valves, which would make it an even bigger job. So, keep driving at your own risk.

1,965

Thanks for your feedback Kirk .Would you agree that checking and possible replacing the timing control solenoid would be the place to start,rather than tear down the engine.From what I have read the solenoid and the position sensors could throw the same code.When I scanned it this is the the result , "P0341 Generic Camshaft Position Sensor "A"circuit Range Performance (Bank 1 )or single sensor"

755

The solenoid is the gear on the intake side so it is just as much work as replacing the chain, because you still need to remove the chain to replace the solenoid.

755

Removing the valve cover and checking the timing would be the first step in the diagnosis. With the crank set to top dead centre, the cam gears have a little dash (near the gear tooth) and both marks should be pointing at each other. If they are off then it has skipped.

1,965

Thanks for your quick response.Looks like the wife will be without her car so I can do this. Thanks You have been helpful.

60

what cause the enginge light to come on after cam cam sensor replace

755

That depends gwenda, why was the sensor replaced in the first place. If it was replaced due to the P0341 code, then likely it didn't require the sensor to be replaced and the sensor was properly detecting that the camshafts were out of sync with the crankshaft. If this is the case then you likely have the same problem as described above. Good luck, Kirk

1,965

Here is the way to resolve the "valve timing " issue, There are little springs in the rocker arm assembly of the head.That allow it t change the valve timing. If one of these springs break it will throw the code "out of phase" The springs are dealer item only and kind of $$$$. It was cheaper to replace the engine. Yes I had replace all the sensors ad filters .When the head was disassembled the broken spring was found. The rule is if you broke one replace them all.

10

I had a Code Pop up p0341 so I replaced the camshaft sensor but after that it went for about 45 miles then came back on i have a Honda Accord ex 2005 what could it possible be

2008 Honda Accord 2.4 ex i just had my VTC actuator replaced because there was a grinding noise at cold start, that noise stop, but now the engine light and VSA ligjt are on, the code P00341 came out from the diagnosis, the car lost power and stalls when i accelerate from start, i never had this problem till i replaced the VTC actuator. The mechanic said i got a defective actuator, but if it was defective the grinding noise at cold start will still be there. Please help any educated/tech suggestions

@Tunde, I am having a similar problem. Did you figure out what is wrong?