What to do with my damaged 1991 LS400

Asked by Feb 03, 2013 at 04:40 PM about the Lexus LS 400

I have been driving my beautiful pearl white 1991 LS400 since it has 4 miles on its odometer. I have kept it in tip-top shape over the years by doing whatever maintenance and repair needed. Although it has 215,000 miles on its odometer now, I planed to keep driving it for at least a couple more years since the exterior and the interior of the car is still beautiful nad everything still works. That is why I had only recently installed 4 new Michelin tires costing more than $800 in addition to brake maintenence. Unfortunately, I had a one car accident 3 weeks ago that caused underbody damage. I have been to 2 Lexu delaers for repair estimate. They came back about $7,000 for disassembling the bottom of the car and replacing the floor of the car, although they doubt if they can find the body part for repair.Is there any way I can repair that at a cheaper price? If not, what do you think is the best way for me to recoupe as much as possible from the damaged LS400 to help finance the purchase of a new car? Thanks!
Mann-Jy

90,085

Is the insurance going to pay for anything?

Best Answer

No. I don't have this part of insurance.

7,925

You have a unibody car. It sounds like you have a car that would need such major repairs that it would likely never drive the same again. The best way to recoup costs is to strip all the useful, good parts off the existing car and sell them on eBay. Unfortunately, you will not likely get back much of the price of the tires. Used tires, regardless of mileage, do not retain much of their original value. If you are buying a used car, see if you can find a great example of the same car, and transfer as many of the parts over as you can. One suggestion, since I am guessing you were running all season tires, buy snows on steel wheels, and protect the alloys wheels.

HI, Michael, Thank you for your uggestions! With regards to stripping all the useful parts to sell on ebay, what parts do you think can be sold?

7,925

It depends on what is in good shape. Certainly the instrument cluster, the dash pad and steering wheel if the air bags did not deploy, All of the light assemblies, door panels, seats, wheels and tires, power window switches and motors, doors, front fenders, hood, wiring harnesses, doors, bumper covers, stereo, console. Basically, anything that can be unbolted or unclipped. You may find someone wants the whole car if the quarter panels are that good. A great many of these cars suffer severe rust by now and since the mechanical parts are still good, a lot of people are thinking of keep them. Good used parts can be hard to come by.

Hi, Michael, I hope you are still reading this post. My LS400 has no rust at all except a couple of small chips that have been covered up by touch up paint. The bottom parts of the car are not made of metal so they don't rust. That is why the exterior still look very good. The car was so well made, it is absolutely sturdy like new inside out. Everything you mentioned are good. Instead of stripping the car myself, which I cannot do, could you suggest some companies that wil take the whole car to strip the parts for sale?

7,925

Unfortunately, I don't think there is a company that will do that. Salvage yards buy the entire car, strictly on a weight over the scales basis. Based on weight, you may get as much as $400 for the car. If you manage to find a way to strip it yourself, you may get as much as $1,500, or more. You might also put the entire car on eBay motors as a parts car.

20

I don't know how close you live to Mexico. I live 7 miles from Tijuana, Mexico. When I need any body work done, I take it down there. First of all, they tell you straight up how much it will cost you! They don't keep on jerking you around after that! Also, they are absolute Masters at taking a torch and cutting out the bad part and welding in a new one!! If you don't speak Spanish, then it is absolutely necessary to take along a good friend that does. Also. make sure everything is in writing that they propose to do--and--don't front them a lot of money! AND- DO NOT BE IN A HURRY--THEY TAKE THEIR TIME ABOUT EVERYTHING THEY DO! IF THEY ARE REALLY GOOD BODY GUYS, THERE WILL BE A NUMBER OF CARS IN THEIR SHOP IN DIS-ASSEMBLED CONDITION. IF YOU LOVE THE CAR-THIS IS THE DIRECTION I WOULD TAKE!

10

Mitzuec, I don't know if you purchased another vehicle, or had your 1991 Lexus repaired. But just to let you know that I am selling my 1991 Lexus LS400. It is in beautiful condition; with only 124,500 miles on it. I'm only the second owner. It is silver/blue exterior and light blue interior. I had the air conditioning totally rebuilt, last year. New battery and new tires within the last year. This car needs NOTHING. It is in excellent condition. I'm only needing $ 4,950.00 ( negotiable.) My email: Kenster@minetfiber.com

I would be interested in seeing photos inside and out of the lexus. i may buy it for parts. my email is avagrace1968@optimum.net

20

What happened to your Lexus? Is it beyond repair? You can part it out on EBay and make some money if it is beyond repair. I might be interested in a few parts. My E-Mail is charliehesterjr@att.net.