1999 saturn automatic gears wont engage

10

Asked by Oct 08, 2015 at 09:20 PM about the Saturn S-Series

My 1999 saturn sedan automatic Car starts just fine. But when shifting into
gear it shifts but does not engage thus not shifting into any gear

1,205

Sounds like something might be loose like maybe a wiring harness that actually tells the transmission to engage into gear I don't know it's kind of hard to tell I'd say just do the basic things check your fuses because the transmissions nowadays are all electronic and their powered check your fluid and your fuses if you can check the wiring harness somewheres make sure its connected I don't know much about the internals of the transmission but I would just do the basics and then if you have to just go get it diagnosed if its not running that's unfortunate that's what you'll probably end up having to do take it to a couple places if you can and hopefully they don't rob you it might be something simple especially if the transmission was running fine before

10

The car starts just fine, it just doesnt engage the way it should when putting it into reverse, drive, 1st or 2nd. It's an automatic, so I was just checking the other two gears for checking sake to see if they would even engage, and that was a big negative a big zero. It is like every gear is neutral, except neutral is still neutral as far as being able to push it freely in the gear, where as the other gears you cant move it about freely. Well seeing your advise was the only I have recieve and I have nothing to lose at this point, I am gonna go and give it a whirl and get back to u and let ya know how It went and how ive faired. Thanks very much for your input. Melanie

1,205

it might be your shifter linkage inside the console where the shift selector is connected to the transmission via cable to be that just was taken off of the shifter came loose also you are you know I might need to do maintenance on your transmission if you check the fluid