Were there any recalls on the 99 Saturn sl?

40

Asked by Mar 05, 2015 at 05:14 PM about the Saturn S-Series

I have recently run into a problem with my saturn and it only has 69000 miles on it. The battery died, but before hand the car wouldn't start and then after a bit it would. Shop said bad battery, $93. later, I have the same problem. Now, the door chime all of a sudden decided to go off and on. The rear defrost quit working last winter and today also decided to work. Instrument panel lights flicker a little and cannot comprehend why?
The car did start after a while, but there was no noise to indicate  a problem with a starter or solenoid might be bad, usually there is a clicking noise or something. Help anyone?

143,385

No recalls on the '99 sl.

40

Can you tell me why this car is acting the way it is? It is a standard transmission and when it runs, it is quiet and smooth. Just don't know what to think of the way it doesn't want to start and all the little things happening, door chime suddenly working off and on and does go off even after I am driving down the road.

143,385

Now, that being found out, The instrument panel lights sound like a ground problem, possibly way up behind dash. Also Check the Neg-- ground from battery to wherever it bolts to, usually block, must be clean and tight, and also the terminal clamps on new battery may not be tight, they do wear out in 16 years, sometimes even coming apart unseen, under insulation where cable attaches to terminal clamp. The rear defroster has a circuit breaker, and can click off if overheated then when it cools it turns it's self back on.

143,385

We were typing at the same time Joco. I addressed everything I can think of, except the door chime, that is a mystery to mee

40

when I need the rear defrost, it was below zero out and ice on the windows, it just wouldn't light up or anything to indicate it was working

143,385

have a look at where the wires enter the chassis from door. Sometimes they can become frayed after thousands of open/close. And the switch, on that car I don't know but some have a button that gets pushed in and some make contact at the door latch

143,385

This one is difficult, but try and see if you can find where the wire to the heat elements mesh in the glass enter the glass. My car had it come apart there when the rear d/f quit on me

40

I'm sorry , I will take it into the garage and have them put it on the machine and diagnose it, just very frustrating. I just put two new rotors and brakes on it, which wasn't cheap. I don't like these car repairs!! LOL

143,385

another difficult one, to re-create, but if there is some way to have somebody tell you if your tail lights flicker at the same time as dash. they are on the same fuse. I know that one won't be easy

40

Thank you so much for all your time

143,385

There you are, best idea yet. let a pro have at it

143,385

Quite welcome

965

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/owners/SearchSafetyIssues

965

Go there its the Gov. site to see if your car has any recalls.