Saturn se2 turn the key over and everything works except it won't even try and start the engine won't turn over at all. Does anyone know what could cause this

20

Asked by Feb 07, 2015 at 07:06 AM about the Saturn S-Series

10,070

did you try jump starting? there may be enough power in the battery for accessories, but not enough to start the car. if you can jump it and get it started, then when it has run a while the battery should be fully charged. at this point, have a load test done on the battery and also test the alternator.

20

Yes did that... everything works fine except when you turn key over its as if there weren't even a battery in the car as far as starting it. . No clicks no trying to turn over... no nothing

965

Hi check your battery terminals & clean them plus check your engines fuse box next to the battery their is a 30 AMP fuse for starting the car check all of those etc. plus check all your ground wires coming off the battery. Heres what another member wrote to me when I had a similar problem--- first thing I would do is have the battery and alter checked for proper voltage. Make sure all of your wires from the battery, starter, alternator and under hood fuse box are right and clean. Make sure no aftermarket power wires are still live coming off the battery. The voltage regulator can be going bad its apart of the alternator.

10,070

If it is absolutely devoid of power, meaning no dash lights or interior lights or anything, then akasnacker is right. The ground could be bad. Especially where it hooks to the block.

20

OK i tried it this morning and it started right up. .. after it runs and warms up and i cut it off it won't start again. .. let it sit for a while then it will start... at all times the lights radio blinkers heat everything works it just won't turn over. . What in the world could it be causing this

965

I used to have a 1992 Pontiac Bonneville and somebody put an aftermarket alarm system in the car when the car already had a factory alarm system and it did things like what you're talking about but have you checked anything else that was talked about in previous posts like your battery other things yet?

10,070

I am beginning to believe it is your starter. there is one other thing to try just for kicks. when the car wont turn over, put it in neutral and see if it will. I once new of someone who had this problem and it was the neutral safety switch. I am leanin toward the starter at this point though

20

My car is possessed! It started perfectly normal yesterday and hasn't gave me a minutes problem since. .. go figure. . So think it's the starter? Would it do that? I hate that it can't make up it's mind to run or not. .

10,070

Trouble is, if it is the starter you will have to take it off to test it. Might as well drive now and see what happens. Can't fix something with no symptoms!

20

Lol its ran perfect for 3 days... I'm so confused about this car but I'm keeping my mouth shut ... be thankful and drive drive drive .. thank you for all the help

965

Hi you know what it could have been is that you left a map light on or trunk light or some kind of power source left on that could have drained your battery cuz I just recently did that I left my the map light on and the battery ran down after a couple days and it wouldn't start the map lights I had installed separately after the car was made it was an add on so it's not a part of the integrated circuit that would turn the lights off after 10 minutes to protect your battery so you could have an add on light source like the map lights I installed that could have done it too.

10

I have the same car in the same problem is happening to me right now. I was able to start it by popping the clutch and while it was rolling down a hill but that's the only way it started. When I turn the key all the electrical components in the car come on but it makes one click and it wont start. I just replace the alternator less than 3 months ago. The battery is less than one year old. So confused.

20

mine seems to have fixed itself. Mine is automatic, wish it were a straight shift then at least I could pop the clutch and get it home. I haven't had a single problem since Sunday evening. I'd love to know what the heck is going on

10

My starter is also new. Just realized I lied about my battery. Replaced the one in my truck bot Saturn. Hooked up the new battery and after a jump it seems fine