turbo

25

Asked by Oct 02, 2010 at 11:18 PM about the Saturn S-Series

i read on a few forums that the dohc motor for my sc2 has steel rods outta the factory, this leads me to believe that you can put a custom turbo kit on the motor with a good chance of not blowing up the motor, is there any fact to this?

435

Just reading around, I think the Saturn motor can handle a small turbo, but on the grounds that the block was created using a "popcorn aluminum" process(don't ask me what it really means), I wouldn't dare try more than a pound or two of boost. It's been done, but I think it'd be easier to tune in other areas. A former racing team called SPS Racing (sponsored by Saturn Performance Systems in the '90s) has stated, "...the Saturn powerplant will respond quite well to basic hot-rodding techniques. My exact source is "Saturn - a Different Kind of Race Car" by James Walker,JR. as seen at www.teamscr.com, if you wish to read their tech articles themselves. I will tell you, however, that SCCA racing had them emphasize suspension and tire setup in most of the articles, if you're just wanting a little extra go for the streets.

135

Pretty much all engine do Ok with light boost. The health of the engine is the biggest issue. Past that keep the boost low and realize that you have little ability to control fuel, you'll be Ok. If you want more tha 4PSI or so expect to spend money. TurboSaturns used to have a 200WHP build article that was pretty good on the cheap. I'd advise that if you don't have a lot of money in the car, don't put a lot of money in the car. You can probably find another more capable car for what you'll end up spending on a decent turbo setup.

5

yea i see them hear and their and u can go more than 4 psi to u can go to 6 psi and run it all day i just wouldent be tacking it out a bunch i was at the dragstrip and their was a 1999 sl2 with the top end done and it was at 14 psi and the bottom end still held its the transsmission u need to worry about

25

thats a good idea i was gonna get a head rebuild before i even thought of the turbo, but i was worried more about bottom end damage