I have an SC2 Coupe and it leaks

5

Asked by Feb 18, 2010 at 08:40 PM about the Saturn S-Series

What can I do to prevent further leakage? This onlly happens when it rains and I don't know why.

45

I assume you have a Sunroof? If so, then the reason it "leaks" is because your sunroof does not actually seal, instead, it uses a system consisting of a drain pan (hidden by the headliner) which is connected to 2 or 4 tubes that drain the water out of the pan, through the frame, and onto the ground. At the bottom of these tubes are small box like filter/screen things, and they get clogged easily, allowing water to back up the tubes, and stand in the pan, which is only 1/2 inch or so thick. Once enough water accumulates on this pan, it "leaks" onto you inside the car. The way to fix this is to have the drains cleaned, replaced, or removed. Some enthusiasts know how to get to the drain screens to do this, but if you do not know anyone who can, you'll have to take it to a dealer to get this to stop. Good luck.

5

Wow! I really wish that the dealership told me that when I bought it. They didn't even mention anything about cleaning the tubes. Now I have reason to go off on them. And now my sunroof is shut off because the motor is dead. Thanks for the information. It was really helpful!

45

No problem, but you can't go off on the dealer. It's not their fault, nor is it a common thing. It only happens sometimes and I only know of it because my 1991 SL2 did the same thing. If you ever need to know the answers to any more questions, try going to www.saturnfans.com, or www.sixthsphere.com, and registering. Those are both enthusiast sites, and because the S-Series hasn't been made for 8 years now, and they are a discontinued model, you'll have to rely heavier and heavier on other drivers for info and help. ALSO, the motor for the sunroof is extremely cheap, and can be had at almost any junkyard for next to nothing, and they are really easy to change all by yourself too. Just grab the frame around the switch and map lights, and pull it down, and the motor is exposed, and can be changed with a screwdriver. Good luck. btw, if you sign up on either of those sites, I am JADEDSL2.

5

Thanks. I may have more questions for you. Lol!

95

i've had that problem in many cars that i have had and i solved that problem by going to the hard ware store and getting a tube of silicone and running a bead of it around where the sunroof meets the roof and they it stoped the leaking but then u cant open ur sunroof anymore

5

Well my father took it to the dealership and they wound up turning the sunroof motor off.