Rattling noise under hood of 2001 Saturn LW Stations Wagon

Asked by May 17, 2013 at 01:56 PM about the Saturn L300

Yesterday when I started my car I heard a loud rattling noise under the hood.  I got home & checked all fluids (oil, power steering, trans) and all levels were good.  I did notice a vibration in the steering wheel when driving.  Could it possiblly be the power steering pump?

254,495

Possibly, did you have the engine on with the hood open to pinpoint the source?

Yes. It's really more of a guess.

254,495

Rattling can be an accessory driven by the serpentine belt, look in that area. Maybe the water pump bearing? If it is the PS pump, I'd try turn the wheel back and forth while the engine is on and in Park to see if it gets worse or goes away. Also could be a loose motor mount, internal engine issue, etc. If your just guessing as I am, it might be worth taking it into the shop for diagnosis.

I have a rattle to and my research discovered Saturns will have the timing chain rubbing against the guide thus rattling. I have not looked into what is all involved innthe repair. I have however replace timing belt in the past with that I've replaced the water pump also since you remove the water pump. Let us soon see