how do i check transmission fluid in my L200?

Asked by Apr 25, 2010 at 12:24 AM about the Saturn L-Series

995

I'm going to start off and assume you have an automatic transmission, so here's a little background. GM decided it was going to sell the car with "lifetime" transmission fluid that would never need to be changed. As a result, they didn't want the "ignorant" consumer messing around and checking transmission fluid, and eliminated a dip stick. Instead, there is a transmission check plug on the side of the transmission - if I recall correctly, it is facing the passenger side wheel. To check the level, the car must be warmed up (as with any automatic), but then you have to raise the car and support it so that it is even front to back and side to side. With the engine running and the car warm, shift it through the gears with your foot on the brake, pausing for a few seconds at each point, and then put it back in park and allow the engine to continue to run. Now, you must get underneath the car and open the level check plug. If the transmission fluid level is too high, fluid will leak out of the plug. If it is just right, either a little fluid will seep out or you could stick your finger in the plug, and feel the fluid level just below the hole (but of course, you can't do this because you needed to heat up the fluid to get the correct level and you'll burn yourself). If it is too low, you wouldn't feel any fluid if you stuck your finger in, or it would be down quite a bit lower. Since this requires behind underneath the car when the vehicle is on, it is not recommended that individuals check the level themselves, and they should take it to a shop. Also, there is a fill plug on top of the transmission. You can remove this and use a funnel to fill the transmission.

130

There is a fill under the hood of the Saturn L200's I know for sure its in front of the power steering reservoir look down in front of it your red cap might be black like mine was before I wiped it off lol don't make the same mistake I did and drain your transmission fluid pan thinking it was the oil pan lol then come to find out my oil drain bolt is stripped aswell lord what a night I have included a photo the red cap is the transmission fill incase you need to add fluid now I will have new oil and transmission fluid and yes the check plug is fun to get to and check as posted above if you are not a advanced mechanic I wouldn't do it, I don't plan on checking it ever again ill let the mechanics do that.

10

I think this is not helpful for the owner of the vehicle. If you do not feel anything what do you do next? Remove the transmission?

I have a L200 2001 and the seller I bought it from changed the car from manual to auto and I cannot find the place to put in trans fluid I replaced the axle which is for a manual and lost about a quart of fluid checking the other side because I did not keep it level and fluid ran out on the ground. Looked where indicated and still nothing I am going to just drive it since it sounds good and let a mechanic deal with it at service time for the oil change.