trunk lid wont pull down all the way

30

Asked by Jun 23, 2013 at 01:41 PM about the Lincoln Town Car

I own a 92 Lincoln town car and the trunk lid wont pull down all the way,, motor works,,the shut off switch work,, everything appears fine,, tried to adjust all the mechanisms to their lowest point nothing,, do not see any adjustment to the worm gear drive,, any solutions?,,thank you

25,785

Only to replace the the latch - there's a switch that's either broken or open. I don't think you can repair it but it's worth a try. I've seen a lot of them.

30

I will check the latch,, seems to be ok,, just took it off,, thank you for your time

30

latch works,, I might have it figured out,, the pull down yoke has two detent tabs,, and its over the tabs not causing it to work,, going to reset the switch,,, wish me luck !

30

part of the issue,, but not the right fix,,,

10

Wanted to post this as this may help someone and the fix was actually pretty interesting. This is for if you ever "overload" your trunk like I did, and who knows, it may fix other issues so maybe worth your time. First, I'll just say that I actually "messed" my pull down motor up. This was on a 2009 town car btw. Anyways, I was moving a bunch of stuff for work and loaded my trunk full with a bunch of stuff, in fact a little too much. I attempted to close my trunk, then it happened. The pull down motor just kind of stopped and couldn't pull down because there was too much junk and that was it for a while. I took out a few of the things keeping my trunk from closing all the way, but to my dismay, this did not help because the damage was already done, I had to close with a little force but not quite slam, just to get the trunk to kind of stay closed. Long story short, to fix the problem I started with disconnecting my battery, checking fuses etc. especially because I somehow got to the point where the trunk button on both my remote and the trunk release button inside the car did nothing. All you could hear was the click but nothing from either motor in the back. Thats when I knew something might be wrong with the decklid module mounted to the back wall in the back of the trunk. I said long story short so here's the solution to maybe somebody's issue out there. Basically, I caused the pull down motor to come out of sync and i believe i triggered a safety mechanism as well causing the module to shutdown power to both motors. I discovered that the very bottom connector going into the decklid module had something to do with both the motors because when I unplugged it and plugged it back in, i noticed some movement from the motors after there was nothing at all before that. So then my thought was that there was still a chance of the motor being out of sync and the only way to fix it (here's the crazy part) was to get in the trunk and pull the lid closed (no worries, just have a flash light and make sure your trunk release works, or have a cell phone in case of the worst :) ) and then "mess" with that bottom connector on the decklid module! Oh, have your remote with you as well so you can test while your in there. The next step was to "barely" connect the bottom connector, essentially either touching the contacts that make the pull down motor go up or down, just play with it a little until you see or hear it go up. Eventually, you will get it into the right position to then pull down the trunk all the way, then, try to make the trunk go down all the way with the barely touching method, when you think you got it, make sure the connector is plugged "all the way in" and push the trunk release button on your remote. When I did it, I got it to pop the trunk open, but then when I pulled the decklid back down, it still wasn't pulling the decklid down, so it was a little progress at a time, after that, I finally got it into the right position using the barely touch method, then poped trunk up, then pulled down the trunk and it worked. I tested a few times from in the trunk before I finally got out and whola!!! Trunk overload issue solved!! To further explain after some thinking, I think what actually happened is when I first tried to close the trunk, the pull down stopped in the up or (open) position, but the decklid module thought it was in the (down) or closed position, or safety mechanism was triggered...not sure how that would react, cut off electricity to motors? Reverse polarity, disable controls?? If module thought decklid was closed, even though pull down definitely wasn't, then pushing button would do nothing because it would try to open, but immediately say I am open, so until you get it synced back up and on the tracks, it will stay like this so you basically have to manually get the pull down motor and latch in the right position which if it's open, it should be all the way high, good luck!