Does anybody have an idea what caused the limo fire?

Asked by May 07, 2013 at 02:50 PM about the Lincoln Town Car

This was horrible, Five women died ...The Calif Highway Patrol either does not know or is not saying how the Town Car caught fire.

Horrible as it can get trapped inside

28,495

I havent heard yet. News last night said they were still trying to determine what caused it.

This was in The Judge's neck~o~the~woods, Redwood City. It makes me wonder about the difference in the way the stretch limos are built vs. regular Town Cars. I of course don't know these people but still terrible for their families. They were all trying to crawl through the partition from the back seat to get out the front. I can't figure out why he kept driving and why the back doors were locked...or did they panic..the whole thing is just beyond terrible

26,585

This is truly a horrible incident. Lots of speculation, but nothing definitive from several articles that I've read. Some say that it was caused by an electrical fault in the rear of the limo which may have ignited the fuel tank somehow. There had to be alcohol (several bottles maybe)...which could be a contributing factor. One limo company stated that the design of the 1999 Limo was outdated and that it should NOT have been in service as newer limos have an extra set of doors to allow for easier access into and out of the vehicle.

28,495

The thought of those poor women being trapped and burnt alive makes me tear up a bit. Thats truly a terrible way to pass. Ugh I dont even wanna think about it any more I dont know how everyone here feels about religion but I just hope they are in a better place.

965

Don't have any real answers but I had a 99 stretch and as it got older I had a problem with the stretched fuel lines rotting and leaking. I'm not saying this happened to the car that caught fire but the materials the coach companies use to increase the length of the fuel lines are not as durable as the stock material.

965

Exclusive: Mechanical failure caused fatal limo fire http://abclocal.go.com/kgo/story?section=news/local/peninsula&id=9128860

25,585

Heck, if you ever checked out the alterations made to a Limo from a mechanical standpoint, you'd be reluctant to ride in one. They don't turn, they sag in the middle, under-powered, they're a car cut in half with a midsection installed that hasn't been safety or crash tested by anyone! Not enough brakes, weak or altered suspension, add on junk that the car was never intended to carry....I could go on and on.