A lot of problems with this vehicle

Asked by Apr 04, 2013 at 12:03 PM about the Lincoln Navigator

Bought in 2009 with 98,000 mi. In 2010 had a tune up done which cost me $1200. In 2011 had
something wrong with the front tire bearings replacement cost me $800. In 2012 the suspension went out
that cost me $1300. And now in 2013 check engine light is on took it in and mechanic told me it needs a
new engine cover or something like that. Cylinder 8 and 6 misfiring....going to cost me $4,200!!! not sure
what to do!!!

please phrase this as a question that the Gurus may answer~

There is much here that hasn't been disclosed, such as did you buy this car originally? Do you have a copy of the service/maintenance records? What are the trouble codes that the CEL came on because of? we may be able to help you. new "engine cover"....aren't those a plastic shield? two cylinders misfiring? sounds like a coil pack, but do not know for sure because there was a lot of belly-achin' about costs but no data we can gather from what you've told us. Please tell which trouble codes were activated, have my suspicions about coil packs...now they're tryin' to sell you an engine? please get a second opinion, we'd give it but aren't being entirely forthcoming with the info~

oh, yes you got it at 98,000, did they give you any service records? an owner's manual (some people keep 'em, for why? I dunno) because "tire bearing" doesn't make sense, but wheel bearing does...A good, reliable service tech will clean each bearing in a safety-kleen tank running the paint thinner and blasting them clean...then repacking them, rather than charge you up the yin-yang to replace them~ There are many grey areas when it comes to auto repair...and perhaps you've been taken advantage of for your lack of automotive knowledge~

The Judge has a point, "Engine cover?" I call that a hood, no sarcasm intended. For $4,200 you could get a new engine and more. I am making an assumption that you mean wheel bearings, and $800 is far too much to pay for replacing the two of them in front. We will be as helpful as possible, we are not blowing you off LCM1, but I agree: they saw you coming. And it is nothing you did wrong, only didn't get a second opinion. Go to a large parts store. Ask them to scan your OBD, they will do it free. You will get codes: "P" followed by four numbers, (P1111 for example) write them down and bring them back here, one of us will be happy to help you decide what to do next

sell it.

or not. do the smart thing and get 'er fixed~

Judge Roy what was the final issue? How did you resolve? My 2009 truck has rough idle in drive and in neutral but no error codes on computer???