Is the Jeep Grand Cherokee reliable?

Asked by Sep 13, 2015 at 08:16 AM about the Jeep Grand Cherokee

I love the Jeep Grand Cherokee style, but have great concerns over
mechanical reliability and body rust. Seems Jeep owners are dedicated to the
brand, but also seems their Jeeps always have problems, often major, and a
lot of rust on those Jeeps on the road. Am I wrong?

Jeep vehicles have more problems on average than other vehicles in their class. I personally would not own a Jeep other than a CJ-5, CJ-7 or a Rubicon, but these can be troublesome also.

63,165 Take a look at TrueDelta, that is a pretty good honest site that rates vehicle by their reliability.

Lots of problems, I would stay away...

Ditto. Chrysler products are inferior. As much as I like to say "Good American steel" Chrysler is a subsidiary of Fiat

According to Consumer Reports, the last few years of the Grand Cherokee have been rated Fair to Poor when it comes to overall reliability. They stated the the 2015 model is expected to be ranked at much worse than average or - 134% below average (that's negative 134%). Don't walk away, RUN from the Jeep Dealership!

Fiat has factories in Argentina, Poland and Mexico where vehicles are manufactured at plants owned and operated by Chrysler for export to the U.S.

Uhh Ohh, my Lincoln was built in Mexico.

But not by Chrysler Bob. Nothing derogatory about any of those places..

Oh my- if you think those problems started with FIAT, you are wrong- the Italians are trying desperately to right that ship- why they would bother, I have no idea-

No, not even started by Fiat. Iacocca (spelling idk) First nearly brought Ford to it's knees with the Pinto then proceeded to bring Chrysler right in to the ground.

The Italians are making an offer you can't refuse...

IDK why Americans would buy all those Grand Cherokees or whatever all those ugly SUV-like Jeeps are- they are horrible- just go back to the Wranglers or the CJ 5s or whatever those Jeeps are called now- they are the only Jeeps, really- Italian boys- do you GET IT??!!

Jeep has developed a cult-like following and people will continue to buy them despite the advice we give them (Guess it all started with their use by the soldiers in WWII).

I have had my 2015 Grand Cherokee for 16 months now with nary a problem. Two oil changes and that transmission program recall. That's it. It runs great, rides great. So far, way more reliable than the European brand SUV I had before the Jeep. I know this is a sample of one; but I bought mine based on the experience of a number of work colleagues who have owned their Grand Cherokees for several years.

I bought my Jeep Cherokee Sport used in 2004. It was built in 2001. I am finally retiring it this year. I have had very few problems with it. I love this vehicle and if I could afford to buy another I would.

71k miles on my WK2 2011 Grand Cherokee and not a single issue. Pretty good vehicle and still looks good. If anything I would have bought the 5.7 Hemi but even with the V6 it moves well for a vehicle of its size. Materials are holding up very well, no rust and no issues with the body. I am incline to say that its a better vehicle than most european SUVs and in par with Japanese SUVs which in my opinion do not offer the same level of luxury and toughness as the mine.

Tony Winga I have to agree with you. I have a 2012 Wrangler, in which I have defeated all comers in the sand and gravel, and my wife has a 2015 Grand Cherokee Diesel Ltd. Neither have given us an ounce of trouble and we will stick with them. I know why they seem to have more issues than other well known cars and it comes down to advertising dollars. I have had many other cars and none seem to be any better or worse that a Jeep.

I've had a 2013 Grand Cherokee since new - its now April 2017 - I've had no problems - great SUV - its a Hemi V8 with factory tow package - I tow a 20 ft enclosed car trailer with 3200 lb car - a real pleasure to drive towing or not. I also have an Mercedes ML 350 SUV - I like the Grand Cherokee equally.

2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee turbo diesel ... love it! 245,789 miles and mostly original parts. I just replaced the rear end pulling a 6000 lb. trailer all over the country, ceramic brakes made it to 235K miles, EGR @ 228K miles and I know that it is time to replace the struts/shocks. A rock chip forced me to replace the windshield and I am still on my second battery. Only glitch, is the fiber optic interior lighting seems to have a time degeneration as the interior lights are burning/going out. I do not know where the negatives come from...diesel is awesome.

Got a brand new 2014 Cherokee Latitude in 2015 and Chrysler had to replace the transmission no charge after it failed 4 times after getting it "fixed" at the dealership. Drove multiple loaners for a month. Got an attorney and was awarded the price of the repair. Was an issue with the 2014's. This all ocurred within the 40k mile mark.

Here's a potential conversation starter. I sold Chrysler/Jeep/Dodge (CJD) back when they were owned by Daimler, and I think there's one thing that people don't realize about a percentage of CJD buyers; let me explain.... CJD tends to give large rebates on their cars. Their business model tends to be overprice the car and give a rebate. For example, back in June 2016 I bought a new 2016 Chrysler 200. Sticker price was about $25,700, but with incentives, trade assist from Chrysler, and dealer discounts I paid $15,200. NO LIE!!! (Say what you want about the Chrysler 200, may not be the best $25K car, but it's definitely the best $15K car.) Now, imagine this scenario, an hour before I came into the dealership someone else came in with $15K to spend on a car. They probably would have looked at used cars because who would think you could get a new 200 for that price. So lets say they settled on a late model Honda Accord LX and went to the finance office only to find their credit was crappy and they couldn't buy a car, here's what would have happened next. The customer would have been told, 'I'm sorry we can't finance the Accord, BUT we have a new 2016 200 you can have for $15,200, and because there's so many rebates on the car it won't be a problem getting you finances.' That person would have been thrilled because they never thought they'd be able to get a new car, they would have taken the deal and driven off and I'd never have my car. Believe me, this scenario happened all the time if not daily, definitely a few times a week. Do you think that kind of customer gets all of their regular servicing done? Do you think they will read their manual to determine whether based on their driving habits they should be on Maintenance Schedule A or B? Of course not!!!! They're going to drive the car off the lot, brag to their friends about what a great deal they got on a NEW car and drive it into the ground. I know that's a generalization, but believe me, I saw this happen all the time. Back when I was selling cars it was the PT cruiser or a Neon; anyone could finance a Neon. Now compare this to a Toyota/Honda/Subaru buyer. They do their homework, they watch every video, read every review and are willing to pay a little more to get exactly what they want. That type of customer not only does all their servicing, they also probably read their manual cover to cover. Now that's not to say that there aren't plenty of CJD customers who do their homework and still want a CJD product of course there are plenty. However, since cars like Toyotas Hondas and Subarus tend to not really have very large, or any, rebates, the scenario I described tends not to play out disproportionately at CJD dealerships. There is ABSOLUTELY a larger percentage of 'those type' of buyers driving off the lots with new cars at Chrysler/Jeep/Dodge dealerships than there are at Toyota, Honda, and Subaru dealerships. That in the long run skews the reliability numbers. I can say that I have almost 40K miles on my 200, I RELIGIOUSLY do my servicing (my dealership offers a lifetime powertrain warranty so long as I get all my routing maintenance done at their dealership), and I've only had one small issue shortly after I bought the car with the thermostat which got fixed right away. The enemy of any car, but particular CJD products is not doing the routine maintenance which is why I would never recommend buying a used one because you don't know how it was kept. However, if you buy it new and take care of it, you shouldn't have much of a problem. Now, I know you're going to want to reply about your friend who bought a Cherokee and took great care of it but needed two transmissions before the car had 25K miles on it. Don't get me wrong....shit happens....I'm talking about the big picture. A sample size of one is never that great, but I'll tell you from my experience as someone who was around these vehicles, in general, buy it new, take care of it, and it should do pretty well. One caveat....I was selling these cars when they had the 2.7L V6. Don't ever buy a car with that engine in it. It's like an original model Xbox 360 that you know is gonna red ring eventually, that engine is eventually gonna seize up guaranteed regardless of servicing.

What do you all think about the reliability now on the 2017 and 2018 Grand Cherokee's given that Chrysler/Jeep has had a chance to work all the issues out since the 2014 change over?