Is the Jeep Grand Cherokee reliable?

Asked by Sep 13, 2015 at 08:16 AM about the Jeep Grand Cherokee

I love the Jeep Grand Cherokee style, but have great concerns over
mechanical reliability and body rust. Seems Jeep owners are dedicated to the
brand, but also seems their Jeeps always have problems, often major, and a
lot of rust on those Jeeps on the road. Am I wrong?

57,865

Jeep vehicles have more problems on average than other vehicles in their class. I personally would not own a Jeep other than a CJ-5, CJ-7 or a Rubicon, but these can be troublesome also.

57,865

http://www.truedelta.com/ Take a look at TrueDelta, that is a pretty good honest site that rates vehicle by their reliability.

114,995

Lots of problems, I would stay away...

Ditto. Chrysler products are inferior. As much as I like to say "Good American steel" Chrysler is a subsidiary of Fiat

27,425

According to Consumer Reports, the last few years of the Grand Cherokee have been rated Fair to Poor when it comes to overall reliability. They stated the the 2015 model is expected to be ranked at much worse than average or - 134% below average (that's negative 134%). Don't walk away, RUN from the Jeep Dealership!

Fiat has factories in Argentina, Poland and Mexico where vehicles are manufactured at plants owned and operated by Chrysler for export to the U.S.

57,865

Uhh Ohh, my Lincoln was built in Mexico.

But not by Chrysler Bob. Nothing derogatory about any of those places..

24,415

Oh my- if you think those problems started with FIAT, you are wrong- the Italians are trying desperately to right that ship- why they would bother, I have no idea-

No, not even started by Fiat. Iacocca (spelling idk) First nearly brought Ford to it's knees with the Pinto then proceeded to bring Chrysler right in to the ground.

The Italians are making an offer you can't refuse...

24,415

IDK why Americans would buy all those Grand Cherokees or whatever all those ugly SUV-like Jeeps are- they are horrible- just go back to the Wranglers or the CJ 5s or whatever those Jeeps are called now- they are the only Jeeps, really- Italian boys- do you GET IT??!!

27,425

Jeep has developed a cult-like following and people will continue to buy them despite the advice we give them (Guess it all started with their use by the soldiers in WWII).

70

I have had my 2015 Grand Cherokee for 16 months now with nary a problem. Two oil changes and that transmission program recall. That's it. It runs great, rides great. So far, way more reliable than the European brand SUV I had before the Jeep. I know this is a sample of one; but I bought mine based on the experience of a number of work colleagues who have owned their Grand Cherokees for several years.

10

I bought my Jeep Cherokee Sport used in 2004. It was built in 2001. I am finally retiring it this year. I have had very few problems with it. I love this vehicle and if I could afford to buy another I would.

71k miles on my WK2 2011 Grand Cherokee and not a single issue. Pretty good vehicle and still looks good. If anything I would have bought the 5.7 Hemi but even with the V6 it moves well for a vehicle of its size. Materials are holding up very well, no rust and no issues with the body. I am incline to say that its a better vehicle than most european SUVs and in par with Japanese SUVs which in my opinion do not offer the same level of luxury and toughness as the mine.

Tony Winga I have to agree with you. I have a 2012 Wrangler, in which I have defeated all comers in the sand and gravel, and my wife has a 2015 Grand Cherokee Diesel Ltd. Neither have given us an ounce of trouble and we will stick with them. I know why they seem to have more issues than other well known cars and it comes down to advertising dollars. I have had many other cars and none seem to be any better or worse that a Jeep.

I've had a 2013 Grand Cherokee since new - its now April 2017 - I've had no problems - great SUV - its a Hemi V8 with factory tow package - I tow a 20 ft enclosed car trailer with 3200 lb car - a real pleasure to drive towing or not. I also have an Mercedes ML 350 SUV - I like the Grand Cherokee equally.

2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee turbo diesel ... love it! 245,789 miles and mostly original parts. I just replaced the rear end pulling a 6000 lb. trailer all over the country, ceramic brakes made it to 235K miles, EGR @ 228K miles and I know that it is time to replace the struts/shocks. A rock chip forced me to replace the windshield and I am still on my second battery. Only glitch, is the fiber optic interior lighting seems to have a time degeneration as the interior lights are burning/going out. I do not know where the negatives come from...diesel is awesome.