Changed cam sensor lifters and still makes lifter noise oil pressure is good. Going to flush and change oil then add misery oil. Will this help.

10

Asked by Jun 08, 2014 at 12:40 PM about the Jeep Grand Cherokee

117,865

Some just tap no matter what. But I use sea foam or CTC to quiet them. Pour recommended amount in with your oil. (About a third of a can). Let it idle for about thirty to forty five minutes or so. ONLY IDLE DO NOT DRIVE IT OR REV IT UP AT ALL. SERIOUS DAMAGE CAN BE DONE TO ENGINE IF YOU DO ANYTHING OTHER THAN LET IT IDLE. Then immediately after change your oil and filter. This has always worked for me.

17,255

what would a sensor do to make a noise

117,865

Nothing that I am aware of. Was referring to the lifter noise part of the question. And not really sure if he replaced lifters too. Lots of un answered questions here. But had to take a shot in the dark just in case. Lol

71,265

Normally ,when you have tap,s they rarely go away,unless you do internal engine work,but sometimes if you are lucky you can do as dandy say,s and help it not to get worse.

117,865

From what I have seen and dealt with most lifter tap issues on older vehicles is due to dirty lifters. Caused by not changing oil properly. The above method I stated will clean dirty lifter back to good as new. Have never had a time that I did this method that it did not clear up lifter tap issues. But then again I just might be lucky that way. That being said an oil pump going bad will also cause lifter tap and the above method will not help with bad oil pump.

10

I changed lifters. Flushed and changed oil. Dealer said to use 5w20 added the best additive I could get. Still noisy.

117,865

You did not say what year or engine. But from what I am finding this is a major issue with these vehicles. Will do some more looking but as of now thinking could be worn cam lobes or worn rockers.

117,865

Micheal hate to have to say this but you might end up living with this noise if you not interested in a complete rebuild. New lifters on worn cam lobes not a good thing in these engines from what I am finding. They say if changing lifters change cam to or sound will be same or louder. And even with a rebuild you will most likely still have some sort of lifter tick noise. The 4.0L and 4.8 L are known for this. Some even have piston skirt issues that also make a similar sound. Most owners I have found seem to control lifter tick (or what even is actually ticking in these engines) by using additives and or thicker oil. Sorry I could not bring you better news.

117,865

For giggles might want to double check the torque on the rocker arms. Some have found that right after lifter installation sound remained. They checked and retorqued the rockers arms and the sound was lessened. But still have not found any reports of being able to completely get rid of it.

I have a 2000 grand Cherokee. 4.0 when I changed oil the same thing started I hate it so I used sea foam and did what it said to do it helps big time I mean I can still hear it but its real low not loud as hell inside the truck u should just try this 2

I'm guessing that I have the same issue. Noisy lifter, and I was told that it won't do too much and I would have to live with it. Is this correct? My oil pressure is good, but just extremely noisy. Should I also try the seafoam/oil change? I mean it's a 2000 jeep grand cherokee limited, and it has 287k on it.

This noise isn't a lifter or a piston or an internal problem it is the camshaft sensor synchronizer that driver the camshaft sensor. it's in front of the oil filter and looks like a distributor. fore some dumb ass reason the drive causes the cam sensor to make a tap noise that sounds like a lifter. I still have not found a reason as to why this does this.

Maybe timing chain or worn push rod. Are they self adjustable lifters?