I done a head gasket on a 97 jeep 4.0l and now i don't have spark and the distributor was taking out and not marked.

Asked by Aug 27, 2013 at 12:19 PM about the Jeep Grand Cherokee

6,555

you will need to pull #1 spark plug. then stick yor finger in hole and have someone tap the ign. key. BUMP IT. till compression blows your finger out. then you will need to continue to turn eng over by hand untill the timing mark on the harmonic balancer aligns with the 0/tdc mark on the timing chain cover. Make sure the distributor gasket is in place. easy to forget, will leak oil. When you put the distributor in, the rotor button should be pointing at the #1 pin of the distributor cap. Im thinking there may be a small hole in bottom of distributor that you can stick a pin into to hold dist. at the proper position. Try this before you install it.You will need to keep the pin in until you finish. Mabey try a piece of coat hanger, make it log enough to lock dist. then bend an elbow in it, then cut it off long enough to tape it into place. Now the next thing to do is to make sure the oil pump slot is in the right position. you can take a long screwdriver and turn it untill dist. drops in. The dist. will turn as it goes down into place, as long as the pin is in the little hole. If I remember right, The hold down bolt HAS to go between the two little fingers. Once you have done all this, you should be in time.Now remove the pin. You also need to make sure the crank sensor is plugged in. If you have any questions feel free to contact me, I hope this helps.......