Is there a larger capacity oil filter that I can swap for the standard #16?

25

Asked by Feb 28, 2008 at 02:35 PM about the Jeep Grand Cherokee

I thought that I had read somewhere that I could swap in an -8A. Is this true? I'm just looking to gain more filtering area for my '92 Cherokee & '98 Grand Cherokee, both with the HO 4.0 L. The '92 has over 206,500 miles, doesn't burn or leak any oil and runs like a scalded cat! The '98 has over 89,100 miles, doesn't burn or leak any oil and runs well (not nearly as well as the '92, but not bad; I chalk this up to the vehicles increased weight over the '92). Any help will be greatly appreciated!

sorry,but no.

55,355

I wouldn't even bother. Factory filter on that is more than enough capacity and as you are seeing, the longevity is there. By the mileage you are at, any extra mileage to be gained by filtering it would be minimal and offset by the increased demands on the oil pump, etc. Honestly, no, you can't swap that filter in, also because of the different threads that Chrysler introduced in the 1992 model year cherokee.

The -16 filter IS SAE. The -8 will screw on. It may hit the starter and require disconnecting the battery to change. Just to check; If your oil filter is vertical/upside down you have metric threads. If it is horizontal you have the SAE threads and can use the -8 or -16 filters. If it is vertical, the dealer can supply an horizontal adapter to replace the vertical one. This will give you SAE threads and allow the -8 filters. Don't you love people giving you an opinion you didn't ask for? Just answer the question, just the facts, ma'm, just he facts.