I have a 95' Plymouth Voyager V6, I had a rediator leak for a months then my timing belt broke. What's the chance that my valve will be damaged as well?

Asked by Nov 12, 2014 at 08:25 PM about the Plymouth Voyager

22,790

If it's a 3.0 liter theres a good chance you're ok.

Best Answer Mark helpful

I'm not sure if it's 3.0 liter. I just know that it's the small V6 and not 4 wheel drive.

22,790

Look under the hood. There should be a white rectangle sticker with black writing on it, either under the hood itself or on the radiator support, air filter box or shock tower. The engine size will be on that sticker in liters. 3.0, 3.3 or 3.8 I do believe

I do not have access to the car at this time. What's the frequency of my car's problem that would results in valve damage? According to my mechanic, he thinks my car is most likely have valve damage and adviced me to Shine this car. Me dilema is I can afford to replace timing belt and water pump not the valve job. And I would hate te put good money to waste.

22,790

From the way you write I'm guessing you're not from U.S. LOL. So I'm going to do my best to answer your questions. When the belt breaks the timing is off and the valves can slap the tops of the pistons. If that happens you will have damage. If it's a 3.0 liter you have a good chance that the valves are ok because it's not a zero tolerance engine(which is an engine that will have major damage if a timing belt breaks). I hope that makes sense to you.

22,790

I don't understand frequency (here it means what radio/tv signals travel on) or shine (here it means bright)

50

I had a 1999 voyager 4 cyl. and belt broke twice while I was driving. I had over 300,000 miles on it. No damage. And I had a 1999 neon, belt broke while I was driving. Also, no damage.