Smell of gas in car cabin only after filling up?

Asked by Oct 21, 2016 at 09:32 PM about the Plymouth Breeze

'97 Plymouth Breeze, almost 300,000 miles. I
replaced the fuel pump back in March I believe.
Everytime I fill up my tank with gas, and only then,
my car cabin smells of gasoline. It normally
dissipates after a few minutes with the fan on or
driving. It concerns me though. I never over fill my
tank and if somehow or for some reason it does its
drains out. I have no other issues with my engine
receiving fuel or the smell of gas at any other time.
What could be wrong and is it dangerous? I need
this car to last until i can afford to get a newer one.
Any advice or information would be greatly
appreciated!

64,775

You may have a problem with the EVAP system which is supposed to absorb gas fumes from the tank. Do you have a check engine light on?

yeah i do. I think my car has had it on the entire time that ive had it unfortunately. And before i purchased it this year it had been sitting for at least 2 years i believe.

64,775

Have the trouble codes read at an auto parts store or have a mechanic do it. You can also buy a code reader for under a hundred dollars and do it yourself. It really is best not to ignore such warnings!